Skip to main content

Dhcp clients not obtaining ip addresses

More
19 years 10 months ago #4236 by sahirh
Thats a windows autoconfiguration IP address.. it basically means that your DHCP is not working and windows was unable to give it an IP address, so it used one of the autoconfiguration IP addresses.

Can you post more deatils of the setup. Where is the DHCP server in relation to the client system.. is there any filtering device between the two, router / firewall.. if yes, has it been setup as a dhcp-relay-agent. If no, then I suggest you sniff to see where the packets are getting lost.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4238 by chandak76
Hi,I finally managed to make it work.I removed the dhcp server and reinstalled and setup a new scope.The dhcp is assigning ip addresses to clients.Where i Think I went wrong is when setting up the router ip address and dns which i did not do this time.What I'm trying to accomplish is to get these clients to share internert connect using satelite (vsat),I've got the router ip and dns and all the info I need from my service provider.How do I setup this dhcp to do this.I've set the dhcp witha scope of 192.168.100.x.
Thanks in advance
More
19 years 10 months ago #4251 by gulshan
Have you reserve IP for your router while setting up dhcp and if yes then make sure that all the client have default gateway as IP of router. Also I believe you should install ICS software for windows..
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds