Skip to main content

Routing Problems

More
19 years 10 months ago #3983 by Sipher
Routing Problems was created by Sipher
Im running a network through a civilian provider in Baghdad. One of the programs I use has to connect to a server back stateside, but when I try to connect, I can get as far as atlanta then I get cut off. Is there a way I can alter the rout my connection takes so that I can get through?

Nothing is as sacred as information. With it you can conquer the world
More
19 years 10 months ago #3992 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: Routing Problems
Please be more specific about what You are trying to connect to , what program you are using and why does it need to connect to servers in the US.
More
19 years 10 months ago #3999 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Routing Problems
Hi Sipher,

Sounds like your either a military bloke or someone trying to break into their network 8)

Whichever the case (we would like to know!!!), I'm afraid your options are very limited. As a user, you are unable to alter or decide which route your packets will take to get to their destination.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 10 months ago #4093 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Routing Problems
Chris is right, you can't alter your actual route for a destination, since that is determined by the automatically fetched & calculated weight factors of the dynamic routing protocols (OSPF, RIP, ..)

.. But what you can do, is alter your destination ;)

So, thinking in higher level, you could do your job by using a proxy server to exchange data with your actual destination.

As for where that proxy should be in order to overcome your restriction, that would be in a network outside the zone where the restrictions apply, but still in a network inside your restriction zone. Of course the proxy should be configured to allow the type of data you want to pass :)
More
19 years 10 months ago #4094 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Hops
Could it also be the number of router hops? Perhaps you could do a traceroute and check that the number of hops / TTL is not being exceeded
More
19 years 10 months ago #4105 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Routing Problems
Unlikely that its a TTL problem, Windows boxen will choose nice high TTLs like 128 / 255.. its not likely that you'll find something going through so many hops and dying, its more likely that its filtered or dying somewhere en route for another reason. Traceroute is the right approach though as TheBishop said.

Altering your route is possible using a proxy or any similar form of relaying system. Are you sure you're not being firewalled out somewhere along the route.

In the worst case -- sniff

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds