Skip to main content

Cisco equipment & IPv6 testing strategies

More
13 years 2 months ago #36206 by tuxreaper
Hi,

I'm setting up an IPv6 lab at university and have been asked to specify the equipment and IOS versions needed. I was hoping to get some advice on the minimum requirements needed, since there is only a small budget for this.

I understand that IOS 12.4+ contains the latest IPv6 features, however just how much more significant would the extra IPv6 features since 12.3 be for testing? Cisco routers and switches are available although these are in the CCNA level such as 2900 router and 2950 switches.

At this stage I'm anticipating performance, compatibility (servers, DNS etc), security and privacy to be the four main arcs for experimentation, particularly with native IPv6 testing and the methods of 'transition' such as dual stacking etc. I have some ideas on ways to tests these, however I'd appreciate suggestions on the types of tests that the community would anticipate being pertinent in the area of deploying IPv6 into an IPv4 network. I've research recommended best practices and software but I'd be interested in hearing from the learning community

Thanks
More
13 years 1 month ago #36546 by m2r0007
Replied by m2r0007 on topic Newbie !!!
Just adding to the above question :

when buying a cisco equipment what are the things to keep in mind?
for e.g. we plan to buy 6500 series switch with 10GbE ports, since Im new to cisco equipment world I would like to know what are the things I require(checklist) to setup a 6500 12 port 10GbE sfp+ switch like server engine,chassis,line card, IOS etc.,

I havent seen vendors selling all-in-one switch we need to kinda assemble them right?? long shot but any vendor recommendation in UK will be much appreciated.....!
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds