Skip to main content

Windows server 2003 internal mail server set up

More
14 years 3 months ago #33353 by NeoTech
Hi guys, I am currently finishing a job with a small company who needed a few machines building, user accounts setting up and had a few other problems with the network, most of which I have resolved.

I am having a bit of trouble with Windows server however having not had a lot of experience with it and cannot seem to get their internal mail server setup correctly for the new users.
Could anyone point me to a guide on how to do this so I have some reference?

They are also having trouble with the server not syncronising user files from the workstations with its backups. This applies to all their users, both current and new. Could anyone tell me where in the Server 2003 OS the settings are for this so I can reconfigure it?

I have the Microsoft server 2003 exam guide which I haven't yet managed to complete and am using my home network to learn Server 2003 so will be attempting anything at home before setting it up on our clients network.

Thanks in advance!

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 3 months ago #33354 by SteveP
Have a look here . Maybe this is useful? I've never actually configured Exchange (yet) though I have been collecting useful information for quite a while!

I'm sure you'll find the information at www.msexchange.org that you'll need.
More
14 years 3 months ago #33355 by Alans
Neo, installing MS Exchange is very straight forward operation, are you doing a clean installation or re-configuring an existing one?

As for the sync issue, if you could provide more details about the issue may be me or someone else can help.
Usually (the most deployed config) is to sync with file server when user is logging off, but you can change this by using scheduled tasks for example.

regards,

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 3 months ago #33357 by KiLLaBeE
Hmmm...I don't know, something tells me NeoTech may be talking about the POP3/SMTP server in 2003 that's installed as a role...

NeoTech, could you tell us which mail server it is? Exchange or the POP3/SMTP?
More
14 years 3 months ago #33359 by NeoTech
"As for the sync issue, if you could provide more details about the issue may be me or someone else can help.
Usually (the most deployed config) is to sync with file server when user is logging off, but you can change this by using scheduled tasks for example."

This is the method used by their config, however the users get error messages as it attempts to do the backup. The exact error message I am unsure of, I only found out about it 20 minutes before I left. Users had reported files dissapearing and I suspect it may be related somehow. Another thing I am unsure of at this point is whether it is specific to the user or specific to the machine. I will have the user log on to a different machine to check this when I am in again tomorrow and post back.

As for exchange server, I am reconfiguring an existing setup. It may be registered to an ISPs DNS for external routing too but I am unsure at this point. A company set up the network for them once upon a time and they discontinued paying for the IT support. They haven't a clue about anything in their office and they have nobody in charge of their network so I am having to play detective while I work. Coupled with the fact that I am still learning Server 2003 makes the situation less than ideal.

Thanks for getting back to me :) I will post back when I know more.

Also, thanks Steve for showing me that website, I'm sure it will help. I will take a bookmark with me and use it as reference if I run into trouble too.

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 3 months ago #33360 by Alans
@NewTech, you can check file server for users files, just find out the path where they put users files. I think missing files may be related to time sync with the main server (DC probably), make sure all users setting pointed to the correct time server...

always Face your Fears...
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds