Skip to main content

Packet tracer 5.2 DNS question

More
14 years 6 months ago #32533 by Mattchapman1992
Hello, I'm taking Cisco 2 in my high school. I've been learning how to set up networks with Packet Tracer. I have 2 networks interconnected together, Everything can commuciate. I got DHCP enabled. Now I'm not to sure how to set up DNS or even to start. I've read about it on this website but I just keep getting confused :( . Any suggestions?
More
14 years 6 months ago #32537 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic top right...
Hey Matt calm ur self down and look on this page just to ur top right under the firewall.cx badge. u should see something like networking > now mouse over it and u should see many many topics and sub sub topics. Now scroll to protocols and same mouse over it brings sub topics > u should see DNS mouse over and go through each sub topic one by one...

Matt you know one thing about this site is that even if u came in empty when u leaving u have a packed full stuff to go home with. Eat man.. Eat it.

Cheers and welcome to firewall.cx

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 6 months ago #32558 by S0lo
Mattchapman1992,

You can configure DNS using a DNS server in packet tracer. Place a server icon on your network. Connect it to the network, double click on it and give it an IP/mask/gateway as usual. Now, click on the [config] tab. Click on the DNS button on the left. Now you will see an empty list on the right were you can add you DNS mappings.

After you add all your mappings, simply configure the DNS entry on your DHCP (server or router) to be the IP you gave to server above.

For example, if you configured a router to offer DHCP with a pool name of TEST, you would use some thing like this:

[code:1]Router(config)#ip dhcp pool TEST
Router(dhcp-config)#dns-server <DNS_server_IP>[/code:1]

Replace <DNS_server_IP> with the IP of your DNS server that you configured above.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds