Skip to main content

2500 Serial connections with RIP Ver 2 routing

More
14 years 7 months ago #32137 by Regeth
Ok, this is going to be kinda a dumb question, but I want to see if I am thinking the right thing.. Here please take a look at this for a minuite...

http://obvm2a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p10vfQ9JNS0thIJqhVv4OlphyEXmkO0FR_XjAWWMg5i8-1qsTdFGb4Mukq3ruFsP4FZVG0AAkp5nzDXNH4fIqzhfTDozc0_O2/Routing_Serial.bmp

Ok, Plain and simple. I configured each link and verified that each was up/up. I turned on RIP ver 2. From 2524_Top I wasn't able to ping 2524_Bottom's interface. Not until I added the network statement on 2514_top's routing table..

Is that because the "10.10" network couldn't see past the "20.20" since it didn't know the path was thru "20.20"? I makes sense to me after thinking a little bit.. The "20.20" network sits between them an can pass the routes between them..

Or am I completely off base here?
More
14 years 7 months ago #32138 by ZiPPy
No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to networking, because all-in-all we are here to learn.

I would have to agree, the 20.20 network was basically the router in the way of the 30.30 network. So it didn't know how to route past that router. If the router can't add or doesn't have that route in its routing table, it won't pass the packets along.

Now in the diagram I see you have (from left to right) ...DTE, DCE, DTE, DCE, DCE, DTE. Is that physically how you have that setup? Is your 2514_Bottom providing clocking all around, along with your S0 10.3 interface too?

I need to setup this scenario in the lab, and see what I get. I'll post back with my setup after I complete it.

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 7 months ago #32141 by S0lo
I assume here that you've configured network statements on routers except the 2514_Top. That was when the ping didn't work.

Is that because the "10.10" network couldn't see past the "20.20" since it didn't know the path was thru "20.20"? I makes sense to me after thinking a little bit.. The "20.20" network sits between them an can pass the routes between them..

It didn't work because the 2524_Top routing table did NOT get the 30.0.0.0/28 route via RIP from 2514_Top. Thats because 2514_Top did NOT advertise the 30.0.0.0/28 route because it's s0 interface did not have a network statement covering it.

In order for an interface to participate in RIP, there must be a network statement covering it's sub-network.

Thats as far as I know.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 7 months ago #32157 by Regeth
Solo,

Yep, I didn’t get that at first because when I always did this setup in my CCNA class years ago, we had about eight 2500’s in a ring. But, the way I have this setup, it’s going to serve a larger role as simulating connections across the internet. Packets entering the span via T-1, 56k or ISDN, then coming out the other side on different medium. I just find it really neat that I am finding different ways to add real meaning to all of this equipment with out meaning to…

Zippy,

More or less. All DCE interfaces provide clocking to make the connection even physically come up. Also if you switch from your frame relay lab to this serial setup, switch to hdlc.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds