Skip to main content

Unable to open resume.doc file in outlook

More
14 years 10 months ago #30753 by ramachandraraju
Hi,

I am facing a problem in outlook. In our office we are using exchange 2003 and we are using outlook 2003 and outlook 2007 as clients. we are using xp sp2 and sp3. we are using symantec anti virus in our office.
we are working in a recruiting company and we will get maximum mails with attachment resume.doc only. Recently we are facing a problem that we are unable to open attachment file resume.doc. if i tried to open that file its giving an error message like "can't create file: resume.doc Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder" .

I googled for this problem and i got some solutions,

1. I got a suggession for this, that delete all the files in the location they specified. but i didnt find the location they specified "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6E\ ".
2. Another suggession is , In Outlook goto Tools>Options>Security and make sure you uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". but i didnt find this option also in outlook 2003 and i didnt find security tab in 2007.
3. sending that mail to any public mail ids (yahoo,gmail) and opening from it.

the third solution is working, but we will get more than 200 mails a day. In that may be 50 to 100 mails will be having the attachment resume.doc. its not possible to send all the mails to personal mail ids and check them.

Please help me.
More
14 years 10 months ago #30754 by KiLLaBeE

1. I got a suggession for this, that delete all the files in the location they specified. but i didnt find the location they specified "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6E\ ".

Our internal customers occasionally have this problem, and the above listed solution works all the time. However, there are a few things you have to keep in mind:
- The actual path of the temporary directory varies from user to user. On Outlook 2003, you retrieve the path by going to the registry and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security and it's on the OutlookSecureTempFolder key. The "11.0" is the version number. I don't know what the version number is for Outlook 2007, but the remainder of the key should be the same if you look at the other ones.

- You won't see the folder (OLKxxx) if you browse to the folder. You'll have to copy and paste the path into the Run command or into Windows Explore to get to it.

Once you get to that folder, just delete everything in it (while Outlook is closed down) and then you should be OK.

The issue doesn't oftenhappen. My coworker stated that it happens when you leave an attachment open and you close Outlook.

It saddens me that MS hasn't fixed it in Outlook 2007 :-(
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds