Skip to main content

Bandwidth management

More
15 years 5 months ago #27982 by LRM
Bandwidth management was created by LRM
I need to determine the best solution for a client who has budget constraints.
1. I need to use the same connection to the internet (bonded Ts at 4.5 MB)
2. I need to make sure mission critical traffic has priority.
3. I need to make sure "guest" traffic is permitted but does not interfere with mission critical traffic.

I believe I can do this with Cisco layer 3 switches such as 3750's and separating the LAN traffic into 2 subnets. However, I am not quite sure I understand how that will be configured. I believe I would place the switches between the endusers and the the firewall, and have one core switch and two switches for each subnet.

Does anyone know of a rather inexpensive approach to this situation? I like Cisco switches because most of the infrastructure is Cisco, but I don't have to use it if there is a less expensive solution.

Thanks in advance.
More
15 years 5 months ago #28108 by apit
Replied by apit on topic Re: Bandwidth management
If you have budget, Packeteer is the best solution..

If your budget constraint , try using open source application..

lartc.org/lartc.pdf
www.shorewall.net/traffic_shaping.htm
www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1285
More
15 years 5 months ago #28118 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: Bandwidth management
You can limit your traffic with your Cisco devices.

You can use shaping/policing (just check google and read about it) to limit the bandwidth used by an application.

Cisco uses NBAR to recognize the traffic and you can make classes based on this to limit the traffic.

If you need more information I can give it, but at the time I'm a bit short in time.

with this you can have a really cheap and nice solution. Packeteer can do the same, and give you some nice charts... but if you don't give shit about charts, go for the cisco solution :)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
15 years 5 months ago #28210 by guerilla7
Replied by guerilla7 on topic Re: Bandwidth management
Also would like to vote for a Packeteer unit; we have multiple Packeteer Units in our remote and off-shore offices; works like a charm paired with Cisco Routers and Catalyst Switches.

"I see dead packets"
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds