Skip to main content

ip assigning problem

More
16 years 1 week ago #25879 by gamekiller
Hi there,

this is my first post,

I have a question here,
There is a network here in my place, in college, which is not so systematic, you can see everywhere has the switch, cable, on so on.
my subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the addressing ip is 10.10.0.1-10.10.0.254.
There is no internet, just local without gateway ip.
but, I dont know where they get the statement that if someone using ip 10.10.0.1, there is a problem. I keep telling them that, ip 1 should be no problem, but they insist that it will effect the network performance, especially while playing DOTA(multiplayer games) or counter strike. What happen here? Does anyone have ever counter this problem?

Thanks.
More
16 years 1 week ago #25881 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: ip assigning problem
Hi there and welcome to the site.

Who keeps telling you that ?

There is no problem using any of the 254 address providing no other device is using it.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 1 week ago #25883 by gamekiller
Replied by gamekiller on topic Re: ip assigning problem
Hi, thanks for the reply,

Many of the students that come up with that nonsense idea(cannot use ip 1), even ccna students dont back me up.. They also called me dont to arrogant because i'm a networking students..

Thats true when they said that their game will not smooth, such as lagging, etc. do you know why thats happen? Is it because the topology is not systematic? but honestly, i dont think because ip 1.
More
16 years 1 week ago #25888 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: ip assigning problem
Could be a number of reasons, network infrastructure they have, the host the game is running on ? Bottlenecks, etc...

Not sure what you mean by topology is not systematic ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 1 week ago #25894 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: ip assigning problem
As Smurf pointed out, it's not clear to me too what do you mean by "not systematic".

I assume here that a ping to IP 10.0.0.1 would time out. indicating that there is no PC with this IP (or firewalled). However, when you use the IP, it connects some times and some times not. Is that your case?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 1 week ago #25895 by cisman
Replied by cisman on topic Re: ip assigning problem
Hello,
if some of the students are claiming that the trouble occurs when you use/assign 10.10.0.1 IP and its true, then i would recommend you to check these options.
1.Any packet congestion noticed.
2.Any invalid ip address noticed.
3.whats the ip of the switch is it overlapping ?

try to figure out why its happening/reason rather then finding out the solution.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds