Skip to main content

MAC Table

More
16 years 3 months ago #24882 by allanigue03
MAC Table was created by allanigue03
Hello all,

Can you please answer my question about switching.

Here is the senario. For instance, I have a PC1 connected to port1 of an edge switch(ES1) and this edge switch is connected to a distribution switch(DS1). Another edge switch (ES2) is connected to the same ditribution switch. On this edge switch, I have a PC2 which continuously ping the PC1.

I have added a new edge switch(ES3) on the DS1. Now, I want to transfer the PC1 to this new edge switch.

Question1: Will the PC2 still be able to ping the PC1 after transferring?

Question2: If the MAC table aging is set to 6 hours, when PC1 was transferred to another switch, the distribution switch now have the same MAC address on the Port connecting the ES1 and ES3. Will the ping request be sent out to the two port?

Question3: If the distribution switch detects that the port where ES3 is connected, it's the only one replying with the ping request, what will the distribution switch do to the MAC entry on the port where the ES1 is connected?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aries
More
16 years 3 months ago #24883 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: MAC Table
Assuming that your using the usual Ethernet switches:

Answer1: Yes, sure

Answer2: No, because a single MAC can not be bound to 2 or more ports. Once DS1 switch see the MAC of PC1 comming from the port connected to ES3, it pomptly deletes the MAC entry that points to ES1.

Answer3: Already answered 8)

Thats as far as I know.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds