Skip to main content

Asterisk / PBX / Voip

More
16 years 8 months ago #22986 by skepticals
I know I have ran accross a few people talking about SIP and Asterisk and was wondering about something.

Currently, we are using a PBX phone system and I wanted to see if there would be a way to take on of the internal lines and run it into Asterisk? I want to have a few soft phones running on the network, but I want them to have internal extensions.

If it is possible, what should I research?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22994 by Elohim
Replied by Elohim on topic Re: Asterisk / PBX / Voip
Yes, it's possible. You can do all of that and a whole lot more with asterisks. Go to www.asterisk.org

I know I have ran accross a few people talking about SIP and Asterisk and was wondering about something.

Currently, we are using a PBX phone system and I wanted to see if there would be a way to take on of the internal lines and run it into Asterisk? I want to have a few soft phones running on the network, but I want them to have internal extensions.

If it is possible, what should I research?

More
16 years 8 months ago #22997 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Asterisk / PBX / Voip
You may also want to take a look at Trixbox which is meant to be a more user-friendly version of Asterisk.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22999 by skepticals
Any suggestions as to which I should try? I already purchased a book on Asterisk if that makes a difference.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23010 by Bananaskin

Any suggestions as to which I should try? I already purchased a book on Asterisk if that makes a difference.

Trixbox is an install ISO which will install Centos, Asterisk, Freepbx (which is a Apache/Web GUI), Mysql and several other applications. It will also format any drives that are in the host PC so beware. A manual for asterisk is OK as long as you are willing to edit files yourself, however using the likes of Trix and the GUI does make the process so much easier. I personally run 2 Asterisk (trixbox) PBXs here without any hitches at all.

You refer to taking one of the internal lines ? I assume that is POTS (PSTN) that is? if so you will require the likes of a FXO card or if you have a VIC-2FXO bung it into a 1750/60 2600 series router.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds