Skip to main content

ROAMING PROFILE

More
16 years 9 months ago #22668 by sidekick
ROAMING PROFILE was created by sidekick
I want to imigrate to roaming profiles to my domain with 100 workstations.I plan to purchase a HP Proliant ML370 server with 3.7Ghz dual core processor.
Will this work ok without affecting my network bandwidth?
Will users be having problems accessing their profiles?
PS
MOst users deal with AUTOCad and excel files.
PLEASE ADVICE,
More
16 years 9 months ago #22669 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ROAMING PROFILE
Key issues to consider:

If you're going to have roaming profiles, make sure you have a well defined policy on quotas.
Also, make sure you have enough Hard disk space to fulfill the policy.
As much RAM as you can afford will help.
Processor speed not really an issue.
Network bottlenecks will most likely show up when everyone logs on and off at the start and end of the day. So bonded/teamed NICs in your server as well as a solid network infrastructure will be important.
More
16 years 9 months ago #22671 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: ROAMING PROFILE
Agreed. Roaming profiles are great when they are working but a pain in the rear when you get those "I can't log on..." calls. So make sure you test thoroughly before giving it to the users and as dalight says make sure your network and server infrastructure is solid
More
16 years 9 months ago #22672 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: ROAMING PROFILE
To avoid the login problems, I highly reccommend using roaming profiles WITH folder redirection. I redirect the users my documents and desktop to the server. All of this can be done with group policy.
More
16 years 9 months ago #22701 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ROAMING PROFILE

To avoid the login problems, I highly reccommend using roaming profiles WITH folder redirection. I redirect the users my documents and desktop to the server. All of this can be done with group policy.

I presume this will put even more pressure on the server?
More
16 years 9 months ago #22705 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: ROAMING PROFILE
Well, the server is "doing more"; so yes. But, I have loaded our server with a great deal of responsibility and it keeps on going. IE, Roaming profile share, file server, Domain Controller, DHCP, DNS, WSUS, etc.

If you have a newer machine and are not dealing with huge files, I would think it would be fine.

This also makes backing up the users' data easy because it is always stored on the server.
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds