Skip to main content

WIRELESS RADIOS.... WHAT RADIO SHOULD I USE....

More
16 years 9 months ago #22395 by talk2sp
good day my people pls i will like to know what wireless radio and CPE to use.

this is the scenario.

there is a client who wants to receive signal from his office to his house. the distance from his house to the office is like 5km. and i feel throwing wires will not be a nice idea. so i decided to make a proposal of deploying wireless radio and from his office, and a CPE at his house. pls tech guys give me a suggestion. which wireless radio and CPE do u think i should make use of asper signal strength and low cost solution..

Cheers... Guys...

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
16 years 9 months ago #22403 by Rockape
Hi mate,

I'm not really sure you could boost a signal that far. I may be wrong, and will wait and see what others have to say. However, just a couple of questions, you say his house if 5km away? if you stand at the top of your building, do you have a clear line of sight to his house. If not, then the signal distance will be greatly reduced. Second, to get the best distance, you will need to mount the transmitter somewhere high, and I guess that would be quite a distance away from your computer room etc?

If you want to get something that far away, you might want to look at using a VPN and do it that way. You will need to buy some bits and pieces, but it will mean that he can get into his computer without any real hassle.

Cheers

Rockape
More
16 years 8 months ago #22839 by SmartDude
my fren, its not the wireless radio which is of concern. The antenna you use should be the concern when using wireless. Expensive Radios with low gain antennas will cause you trouble. Get the good gain antenna with less expensive radios...

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
16 years 8 months ago #22856 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic antennas
thanks dude, thanks for ur advice. have worked my way out

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
16 years 7 months ago #23054 by Shotz
If there are any obstructions in the Fresnel Zone anywhere in the 5km between the two buildings, it will not matter what kind of 802.11 device or antenna you use. This is a matter of physics and the way RF propagation works.

There are many products on the internet that will tell you what the minimum height that is needed. Google Fresnel Zone Calculators. I used a calculation of 5 Km and here are the results.

0.6 Fresnel zone boundary : 10.345 meters (33.939 feet)
1st Fresnel zone boundary : 13.355 meters (43.815 feet)

That means that your 802.11b/g DSSS AP needs to be a minimum of 10.345 Meters off of the ground and clear of anything.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds