Skip to main content

Router Or PIX

More
17 years 2 months ago #19980 by wannafly172
Router Or PIX was created by wannafly172
Im setting up a small corp netork... This network is expected to expand greatly within a few months. I was wondering if i should go with a PIX or just stick with a router for now and invest later...
The current network is 15 computers.

"Buddha says, "Know your forms of linux: Mandrake, SUSE, Linspire, Xandros, Lycoris, MEPIS, Fedora Core, and Ubuntu""

It is my job to corrupt young people with the contageous, infectious idea of individual freedom
More
17 years 2 months ago #19984 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Router Or PIX
You have a pretty good size network with 15 computers, but if your going to grow down the line, a PIX might do you well. I think it depends on how comfortable you are running a PIX, or if you just want to stick with GUI interface on a standard router.

I came across a firmware which basically turns a standard router into a more professional type router, as far as features. Its called DD-WRT which is owned by GNU.

Source Link:
www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php

You will be using a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless G router. You will then download the firmware of the DD-WRT and flash the router. I have currently implemented this router in my network, and I must say there are quite a bit of options. I would recommend looking into this a bit more and see if its something your looking for.

I also have a PIX firewall, which I am currently learning to use. I have a PIX501.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds