Skip to main content

VPN connection query ...help me

More
17 years 2 months ago #19880 by blesson
Is it possible to set up a VPN connection without using routers and by using the PC(s)...alone ..if yes plz tell me the basic reqirements for the same ...like whether it needs a server and 2 clients and what OS should be use etc......what all the hard ware reqired for the setup and the installation procedure ...
More
17 years 2 months ago #19883 by Smurf
Ok, here goes :)

You can do this with Windows 2003 if you use the RRAS as the VPN Server (although its best if you install ISA Server as this will give you firewalling capabilities also.

I think you can use Windows XP as the VPN Client (pretty sure), this can then connect through to the Windows 2003 server (or better still ISA Server).

This should point ya in the right direction.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 months ago #19886 by TheBishop
Yes you can use the built-in client in XP. If you can, try to use the most basic, simplest arrangement to get started with and then work up to the level of security/complexity you require. I tried jumping straight into the deep end once and it was a bit of a nightmare to configure, specially when using IPSec
More
17 years 2 months ago #19889 by Smurf
Yes, great advise. Infact, Microsoft have made some enhancement (i beleive) to the PPTP side of things to help further secure it. This may only be in the ISA's implementation though as it does update the RRAS components of Windows 2003.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 months ago #19900 by KiLLaBeE
After you setup a VPN, how do you KNOW that it truly is setup? Would the way you view the other VPN member be the same as how you would view a local network member, from My Network Places?

Thanks,
K
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds