Skip to main content

Cisco 857 as a VPN server?

More
17 years 11 months ago #14743 by Jeremy
I recently purchased an 857 router for my DSL connection, and have been playing with it for several weeks. Currently I'm looking into implementing it as a VPN server, which would let me take my laptop somewhere out on the Internet and VPN back into my LAN.

However, despite my tedious searching, I haven't found any solid guidance on doing this. It seems like Cisco only wants you to use the 800 series as remote VPN endpoints, where the LAN clients communicate via VPN back to a central intranet (which is opposite of what I want to do).

I was hoping someone has accomplished this or something similar and could shed some light on the subject. Any input is much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hldr47
More
17 years 10 months ago #14788 by Jeremy
After much searching, thanks to Cisco's apparent inability to operate a wesbite, I think I've finally got it working as it should. Much of my configuration was taken from the "hub configuration" section here:

www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/tec...186a00801dddbb.shtml

I'm also planning to write a paper on neat things to do with the 800 series routers in the future. Anyone who might be interested please let me know if there are any additional areas you'd like to see covered.
More
17 years 10 months ago #14797 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Routers
Sounds useful Jeremy. Why not submit it to the site for publication in the Members Contributions area?
More
17 years 10 months ago #14816 by kunaltyagi
Nice article jeremy ... contains a lot of useful stuff ...

I'm an artist by living --- my art is my life
More
17 years 2 months ago #19868 by Jklassen
Can you post your running config. I`m trying to do the same thing with no luck!

Thanks

JK
More
15 years 7 months ago #27150 by ccaammaaccaazzii
I would love to see the article as I have the same problem.
[or see the config]
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds