Skip to main content

Serving Webpage, FTP and Mail from Home

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14236 by franco190453
I am located in Nicaragua.
I have always wanted to be an ISP and decided to build a tiny one at home. If possible?
So I bought a Domain Name with Lycos Europe.
I set up two Internet conections at home: On one desk I had a Cable-Modem and on another desk an ADSL; both 256Kbps.
I set up two computers on Cable-Modem and two computers on ADSL. (This was like a LAB.)
All four had 1GB RAM and 3.+GHZ and enough hard disk space.
The ADSL conection had two IPs, public or fixed.
I have Windows XP SP2 on all 4 computers and The one I decided to serve webpages, FTP and Mail, had, besides windows, Apache, PHP, MySQL.
With the help of Dreamweaver MX 2004, I designed a simple webpage with links to a group of complex webpages. I thought that loading the first or index.html page had to be easy.
Then I decided to install an e-commerce page like os-commerce, another one called Zen-cart, plus PHPBB2 and finally added moodle.
When you enter the website you will see a group of links that take you to all this programs.
With the help of www.netwinsite.com from New Zealand I got SergeFTP and SurgeMail, they are a FTP server and a powerfull Mail server. As FTP client I used FILEZILLA and as Mail Client I used EUDORA. Eudora has worked very fine, you can get mail from anywhere because the IMAP port is seldom blocked by ISPs and samething applies to SMTP.
Having all set I bought SimpleDNSPlus from same website and set up a zone with my MX, NS, A records. I used to check if everything was OK visitting www.dnsstuff.com and all appeared to be OK.
Since at home we all have refrigerators, I decided I should have a computer turned on and did my calculations and It should cost me some US$30.00 per month to have it working 24 hours a day.
All set I decided to go public and I did. I decided it was about time to cancel the Cable-Modem conection and keep the ADSL, which is a little faster
I have a friend in Costa Rica and another in USA and a good friend that owns a small cybercafe in the capital city of my country.
Results as of today 19 of April, 2006.
My friends can see the webpage, fast; even faster than professional websites, they can do FTP and send and recieve Mail; I even setup an account with Hotmail and works fine; I tried to redirect mail and works fine.
However, those goodies happen when I am at the computer or I restart the computer, when I leave the computer for at least 1 1/2 hours, It will not serve webpages, it will not repond to FTP and it will not receive Mail. When this happens I go to the computer, check all configuration, check all logs and then call my friends and everything starts to work again.
I disabled the firewall, there is no saving of energy.
Any Ideas?
I thought about temperature, electric current, amplify the ADSL signal, change my Operating System. buy a true Server, change the fastEthernet card; in sum I am going crazy and will never give up. I will never accept that ISPs can not be at home, because I think that is where the future is pointing at!!!!!!!.
Regards to all.
franco190453
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14238 by monsky

however, those goodies happen when I am at the computer or I restart the computer, when I leave the computer for at least 1 1/2 hours, It will not serve webpages, it will not repond to FTP and it will not receive Mail. When this happens I go to the computer, check all configuration, check all logs and then call my friends and everything starts to work again.

possibly a power saving management feature is enabled. maybe in one of your network device (ethx)

what OS do you have for your webserver?
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14246 by DaLight
monsky is right. If the Power Management settings for any of your NICs is as below, you will have a problem with them "going to sleep". Either untick the first checkbox or tick the first two checkboxes.

More
18 years 1 week ago #14266 by franco190453
Replied by franco190453 on topic Fast Ethernet Card!.
Thanks!!!
I have made the required corrections today.!!!
Hope everything works fine.
If anyone wants to know the details about how I did it, send me a private message!!!!!. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :arrow:
More
18 years 1 week ago #14268 by monsky
nice to hear it is working fine now franco, but it would be grateful if you are going to post what corrections you did for the benefit of those who are having the same problem, as this is how this forum for. :)
More
18 years 1 week ago #14277 by DaLight
I agree, and let us know if the problem has actually been solved.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds