Skip to main content

connectivity problem plz help

More
18 years 1 month ago #13674 by bigal
Hey everyone, here's my problem. I was asked by my employer to test media converters (Ethernet signal to Optical Fibre) that they want to buy. I'm farely new to networking, and here is the design of the setup that I have right now:

Costumer#1
OPT#1
OPT#2
Costumer#2

Where the CX#1 is:
IP:192.168.2.200/24
GW:192.168.3.1

OPT#1:
Network Port IP: 192.168.3.1/30
Network Port GW:192.168.3.2
Costumer Port IP: 192.168.2.1/24
Cosutmer GW:192.168.3.2

OPT#2:
Network Port IP: 192.168.3.2/30
Network Port GW:192.168.3.2
Costumer Port IP: 192.168.5.1/24
Cosutmer GW:192.168.3.1

Costumer#2:
IP:192.168.5.200/24
GW:192.168.3.2

Please note that the network port are only used to connect the optical fibre.

Here is my problem, when logged-in inside the optical converters, they can generate ping request. They both ping each other, and they both ping each other custumer port. However, they cannot ping the simulated custumer (i.e when looged into OTP 1, it can ping everything even custumer#1 except costumer#2 192.168.5.200).

Costumer #1 (192.168.2.200) can ping everyone in OPT#1 but cannot ping the newtork port (192.168.3.2) or anything in opt #2 (i.e: cannot ping 192.168.3.2 or 192.168.5.1).

I need both costumers to ping each other (192.168.2.200 has to ping 192.168.5.200), what's wrong in the design?

Thanks for the help
More
18 years 1 month ago #13682 by Chris
bigal,

If you are using Ethernet to Fiber converters, then the design you have is certainly not going to work, unless these are some type of new-smart converters;

Usually, we use the converters to 'convert' Ethernet to Fiber. Your diagram shows us that your trying to use them as routers instead!

I really doubt this functionality is built into the converters - I personally have never seen such a feature implemented.

Is it possible that you are trying to connect these two networks in an incorrect manner?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 1 month ago #13685 by d_jabsd
It sounds like these converters are just manageable bridges.

First off, the customers should never have any need or reason to log into the converters, so you need to ignore the converter addresses when setting up the customers. Like Chris mentioned, we can almost guarantee these converters are not routers unless you are using switches as 'converters'.

If both customers need to talk to each other but need to be separate subnets, you are going to need a router on each side, though depending on set up, you may only need 1.

If they don't need to be on separate subnets, you could put them on one big subnet, since the converters are just bridging the networks. This isn't ideal, but it should work (and does work with similar devices, provided the coverters function as i'm thinking they do).

since this is a test network, you can play with it to find the best solution. start out with one giant network, then add a router or 2 and break the customers down into smaller subnets and route the traffic.

Do you have any docs/links on the converters?
More
18 years 1 month ago #13699 by bigal
Here is the problem, when I try to put everything in the same subnet ie: 192.168.3.x /24 the converter bugs and doesn't respond to any ping.

I do understand the point of putting costumers in different subnets, however how will someone know if the converters are working (when deployed with costumers) if one can't ping from end-to-end?

I also do understand Chris’s point, by saying that these are only converters, and usually, on any other converters, one does not assign IP addresses on the network port. In this case though, one has to assign an IP address on a port should it be the client port, the network port or the management port.
I’m not sure if I understand Chris’s point by asking me if I’m trying to connect these two networks in an incorrect manner?
Here is the way that the converters are connected together: on each side of the converters, there is a client in this case a PC connected by cat5 cable on the client port. The converters are then interconnected by fibre optics on both the network ports. Finally on the client port of the second converter, another PC is connected to simulate a client.
It is done that way because that is the way that we will use the converters in our network.
Don’t forget that there is an ATM network between the 2 network ports

Client 1 ---Cat5---Converter1----otp fibre----ATM---opt fibre----Converter2--- Cat5--Client 2

Here is a general question for you then, how can I test the functionnality of the converters ie. An FTP test between the 2 costumers if they don’t ping each other… any suggestion?
How can I make the 2 costumers “see” each other? What configuration should I put?

Thank everyone
More
18 years 1 month ago #13700 by jwj
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to just plug into an ATM network like that. IP to ATM without any kind of multi-service router just isn't going to work, unless that media convertor has that capability...

Normally you have to specify the VPI/VCI that the traffic will go over on the ATM network. Also, a device somewhere (before it gets to the ATM net) will have to convert your IP packets to ATM cells. Both these functions can be done with a multi-service router. IMO this set-up won't work without a router and the necessary modules on both ends.

-Jeremy-
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds