Skip to main content

Pls. Help! intermittent packet loss and disconnection!

More
18 years 3 months ago #12595 by guerilla7
Hi vets! Need your suggestions, im having a severe case of packet loss on our network for the past week, I am using PingPlotter and it shows packet loss on all hops starting on default gateway 192.168.1.1, leading to intermittent disconnection of internet on all workstations, even yahoo messenger with voice keeps logging out then log back in automatically.

Here is a screenshot of the PingPlotter results:

Here is an overview of our small network:

If you do a Ping, Tracert, and PingPlotter to the Cisco router's IP address, everything is ok. But once you do the same test to the Linksys Router's ip address, its packet loss everywhere. Usually happens every 10 to 15 minutes, then goes back to normal.

I appreciate your help guys, im just a newbie network guy :-)

"I see dead packets"
More
18 years 3 months ago #12596 by guerilla7
Help!

"I see dead packets"
More
18 years 3 months ago #12605 by jwj
I'm not familiar with Pingplotter, but it seems that the loss begins on the 3rd hop. Perhaps it's a place to start troubleshooting. If it's not the configuration that is causing it, try a reboot.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 3 months ago #12606 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic loss
is loss present on both the linksys routers or one of them?

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 3 months ago #12620 by Rockape
Sounds like the problem is in the Linksys box! I don't know a great deal about Linksys, but in other routes I would guess this could be an Arp Cache type problem. If it is happening every 10 - 15 minutes, it could be the Arp cache being flushed, and the Network, "re-learning" itself. But, like I said, I don't know alot about Linksys, so they may not even have an Arp Table.

The next time it happens, try pinging the individual switches and routers, and see if they are all failing, or just one.

Sorry, can't offer much else at the moment. But, try all the above, and let me know how you get on. Then we can carry on from there.

Cheers

Rockape
More
18 years 3 months ago #12624 by guerilla7
@ Rockape

Thanks bro! Let me try it tonight.....

"I see dead packets"
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds