Skip to main content

Q-in-Q VLAN Tagging or Stacking

More
18 years 5 months ago #11813 by qster
I understand 802.1q VLANs, however, I do not understand VLAN Stacking. From my research the frame is double tagged with the dot1q tag, but why would you use this.

Does anyone have any good information on this technology in simple terms?
More
18 years 5 months ago #11816 by Chris
Qster,

802.1q in 802.1q, or '802.1q Tag Stacking' as it is more well known, is a fairly new feature found on the larger Cisco Catalyst series (3750 Metro series, 6000 series, 7000 series and above).

The purpose of 802.1q Tag Stacking is to allow, as you correctly noted, a 802.1q frame within a 802.1q fame. This essentially allows large ISP's to create L2 VPN's and also create transparent LANs for their customers, connecting two or more customer LAN points through this technique without complicating things on the client's side.

I personally haven't seen this implemented, but I'm sure its a feature that will only remain on Cisco's largest models for the obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 5 months ago #11829 by qster
Replied by qster on topic Thanks
Thanks Chris!

Very interesting, I guess to see this type of feature implemented would be more to ISPs.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12090 by futurelogix
Replied by futurelogix on topic nice explanation
Hi chris nice explanation .....i too want add my points to u r explanation ....hope it will not confuse ppl !!

I have worked in this field ...this feature is an optional thing in layer 2 vlan aware switches .
It is highly useful to hide the confidential data of (vlan aware) customer switches with another vlan tag in provider Bridges and switch it through vlan aware provider Bridges.

Provider bridges are not aware that the packet received by them are already tagged !

So the layer 2 packet when captured using any packet capturing software like ethereal it will show 2 tag ...one being customer tag and other being provider vlan tag !

I personally have seen this implementation ...and this is part of many layer 2 switches available in the market !

Take life as it comes
More
18 years 4 months ago #12107 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Stacking
So basically then, it's a way of tunnelling a group of VLANs within another overall VLAN. That's really cool!
More
18 years 4 months ago #12118 by futurelogix
Replied by futurelogix on topic True
Yeah its tunneling !!!!

Even bpdus can be tunnelled

Take life as it comes
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds