Skip to main content

IDS, Firewall, Antivirus

More
18 years 7 months ago #10583 by gatorengineer
I want to have all three of the above, not necessarily on one machine, but preferably. I would like them all to be free. FreeBSD seems to be the best for Firewall and there are some free antivirus. Can Snort be loaded for IDS?

What I really want is a good firewall, IDS, and antivirus so any recommendations will do.
More
18 years 7 months ago #10584 by gatorengineer
Just a little more info. I found this website and this would be my ultimate goal. I have no reason to set this up other than to learn linux and be a student of networks. Plus I have a lot of old computers doing nothing.

techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPic...220020227wrr01_D.gif

It shows a Bastion host which all this info I get on it is it is not a program per se, but just a host that is "hardened." Right or wrong?

I would like to combine add virus scanner into the IDS system and have FreeBSD as the firewall, unless it could be done in one configuration.

The internal firewall will obviously be it's own machine . Hope this helps with any answers.
More
18 years 7 months ago #10591 by DaLight
You could use ClamAV as your antivirus. It runs on a number of platforms including FreeBSD. Snort is great for IDS too as you've noted.
More
18 years 7 months ago #10598 by Rockape
For a firewall, try the Free version of ZoneAlarm
for an antivirus, try the free version of AVG
for intrusion detection ??? don't know Cain and Able was mentioned on this site somewhere, and that might work.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds