Skip to main content

RAR and other files open in IE upon Download.

More
19 years 11 months ago #3865 by sLz
Running the latest version of Internet Explorer SP1. Many files such as TAR, and RAR etc..open in Internet Explorer when I click the link to download them. (See Screenshot below)

slayz.mine.nu/rar.JPG

Instead of asking me if I would like to open, save or cancel the file download. I have checked file types and the default application for opening these files is WinRAR.

I have searched Google but to no avail, there doesn't seem to be anything on the Internet about this, but I have heard of this problem before.

Any help would be greatful, thanks.
More
19 years 11 months ago #3869 by Neon
You gotta hate when this happens? :)

Hopefully this solution will work for you.

First you need to open Control Panel.
Next open Folder Options.
Click File Types Tab
Locate the extension i.e. RAR (You can type that extension right into the keyboard and it will hop to it)
Now click Advanced
Near the bottom of the new window there should be a checkbox "Confirm open after download"
Make sure that is checked and press OK
Try again

I hope this works for you.
More
19 years 11 months ago #3870 by sLz
Tried this already mate :( that just saves the file without actually asking to save doesn't it?

I've double checked mate and it is definatley checked.

Thanks for your response never the less. :)
More
19 years 11 months ago #3871 by Neon
Hmm that’s interesting with the option selected it should display the Open Save dialogue

Have you tried deselecting the Confirm open after download click on a RAR link see what happens then re-enabling the option?

Cheers :)
More
19 years 11 months ago #3872 by sLz
Just gave it a whirl but it's still not liking it, it's definatley a client side problem and specific to certain extensions.

This is just a wild stab in the dark but is it not the same as explorer menu's where as in the registry you have entries to say what the default menu is when you click on the item?
More
19 years 11 months ago #3887 by Neon
I’m not 100% sure but I do think the context menu (explorer's right-click stuff) does get its information from the registry (or parts of it anyway)...

Out of curiosity what type of files are you having trouble with? Are they archiving related?

You said you use WinRAR, I have heard of this problem once before with WinRAR, what happens if you uninstall WinRAR and try and download a RAR file again? Does it still open in Internet Explorer? Then you can try either downloading another archiving program (or reinstall WinRAR), try again.

If none of that works you can try installing another browser and see if it works. Other than that I’m not sure what the problem can be so I’m hoping someone else has some solutions :)
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds