Skip to main content

Need to get large file off a Windows 98 PC

More
13 years 1 month ago #36331 by Stephanie
I have 2MB file I need to get off a Windows 98 box. No USB, No CD burner. I know there is a DOS command that will let me span this file across 3.5 floppies, but I can't remember what it is. Does anyone have a way for me to get this file off this box.

Thanks for any help
Stephanie
More
13 years 1 month ago #36333 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Hi

Have you tried Winzip on this PC to try and zip these files and span them across several floppies.

If Winzip is not installed on the PC, connect the PC to the Internet, download a trial version of Winzip and crack on.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 1 month ago #36335 by Stephanie
Replied by Stephanie on topic No NIC
If only I could get it connected to the internet my troubles would be over! I can't find the WinZip for a Windows 98 OS. The 2 versions I have found want me to upgrade the OS. That is a little hard on a 2GB hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestion.
More
13 years 1 month ago #36336 by Nevins
cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USB-2-0-SATA-IDE-2-5-3-...;hash=item3f07824663

Use this it cost $1 litterally just turn off the pc and connect the hard drive cable that was in the mother board to the ide slot on the adapter then plug your usb into another computer. Your old hard drive disk is now a thumb drive. This is also a nice little tool for data recovery.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 1 month ago #36337 by Arani
Hi.

Here's another option. I do hope you have another desktop/laptop around you which you can use to go onto the internet, and something which also has Winzip installed on it.

Now use the following link to download a version of Winzip which works on Windows 98.

en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-winzip-windows-98.php

Use your second laptop/desktop to split the installation files onto separate disks, and transfer them to your Windows 98 box.

Now you can install Winzip 98 on to your Windows 98 box and copy your files across by zipping them.

Or else use the above process to copy across PKZIP to your Win 98 box.

Another option would be to just take the hard drive out of your Win 98 box, bang it onto a external drive chassis, and transfer the files across just like from an external hard drive.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 1 month ago #36338 by rizin
I prefer Nevin's suggestion is Very well suit for you in terms of cost effective with good result.

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds