Skip to main content

ip and mac communication in Lan envormnt

• truesdq
  • Topic Author
  • I am simple and have friendly nature
More
13 years 2 months ago #36274 by truesdq
my Question iz dat if communication iz possible through Mac address and in lan all communicationz re implemented by mac addrs and so why v obseving ip address there ... as the same in switch work on datalink layer which on mac....
so ans not only to sayin dat it all 4 managent purposez which i not undrstndin upto ...............................? plz any1 help me :roll:

simplest
More
13 years 2 months ago #36275 by rizin
Hi,

Frankly speaking, Your Question is not at all clear, try to put in very simple English without spelling mistakes.

We are here to help you at any time however your query must be clear and it shows your level of interest.

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 2 months ago #36301 by Bublitz
lolz best post ever. You a hard core mac user? ....Zing!

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 2 months ago #36302 by Nevins

my Question iz dat if communication iz possible through Mac address and in lan all communicationz re implemented by mac addrs and so why v obseving ip address there ... as the same in switch work on datalink layer which on mac....
so ans not only to sayin dat it all 4 managent purposez which i not undrstndin upto ...............................? plz any1 help me

My visual Filter >

My question is that if communication is possible though mac address and in lan all communications are implemented by mac addresses so why we observing ip addresses as the same in switch work on datalink layer which is on mac. So answer not only to saying that it all for management purposes which i do not understand. Please can someone help me?

My redundancy Filter >

My question is that if communication is possible though mac addresses and in lan all communications are implemented by mac addresses so why we observing ip addresses as the same in switch work on datalink layer which is on mac. So answer not only to saying that it all for management purposes which I do not understand. Please can someone help me?

If communication is possible though mac addresses and in lan all communications are implemented by mac addresses so why we observing ip addresses as the same in switch work on datalink layer which is on mac. So answer not only to saying that it all for management purposes.

My analytical filter >

If lan's use mac addresses to communicate on layer 2 (the data link layer) why do frames still encapsulate packets when no IP addressing is required? Please give me a detailed answer instead of simply saying it's for management purposes.

My reply:

Assuming I understand what your saying; You wish to know why it is that frames hold packets which have ip addresses in them without being told it's for management purposes. Unfortunatly it is for management purposes but fear not it is understandable and easily explained.

Frames (layer 2 messages that use mac address) are sent out with encapsulated IP addresses so that the intended reciver of a frame can store the Source mac address and Source Ip address. This way if the destination host ever has to send a Frame to the source host again it doesn't have to bother everyone on the lan to figure out the source hosts mac address.

Really it's a tale of efficiency and the story goes as follows:

Host 1 needs to send data to host 2.

Host 2 is on the same local lan segment so host 1 one needs to send to host 2's mac address using a frame.

Just one problem. Host 1 doesn't know host 2's mac address.

To solve this problem Host 1 sends out a broadcast arp packet (address resolution packet) to resolve host 2's mac address to everyone on the lan to which only the host with host's mac address responds.

Now host 1 knows host 2's mac address and creates the frame adds in the IP information.

Host 1 then transmits to Host 2.

Host 2 takes the data and uses it but most importantly to our current topic Host 2 also adds the host 1 mac and IP address into a local database called an arp cache so that if Host 2 ever needs to send to host 1 I doesn't need to broadcast an arp packet to everyone on the network.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 2 months ago #36311 by Bublitz
+1 Nevins who appears to be fluent in Ebonics.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 2 months ago #36312 by Nevins
I just look at it like this Bubitz; the people who need the answers the most are the people who have the most issues formulating the questions. Chances are English is not a first language for a large group of people requesting help here so I think of bridging the gap for them as sort of a hospitality. In Truesdq's case English may actually be his first language and he is really struggling with it. To me this is all the more reason to try and help him out. Thats not to say it wouldn't be easier to answer his question if he put more effort into trying to formulate it but I'm not going to try to kick someone while they are down.

Yo feelin' me wat i'z be spittn' at cha dog?

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds