Skip to main content

Users of Windows 7 computers locked out of domain

More
13 years 3 months ago #36067 by steveb13
Hoping someone on here can help with this. I have been Google'ing like crazy and have not had any success.

I have a Windows 2003 domain and have been introducing Windows 7 computers. Users running Windows 7 keep getting locked out. This seems to happen a lot overnight, as in the user goes home, comes in, docks their laptop and can't log in because their account is locked out of the domain.

From my searches, it seems there are plenty of others who are having this problem, but I have not found a concrete solution to fixing this.

Thanks for reading.
More
13 years 3 months ago #36068 by rizin
Hi,

Did you check any Account policy (Password & Lockout Policies) had been applied through Group Policies which is supposed to comply by Windows 7

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 3 months ago #36071 by steveb13
Hi Rizin,

I don't know of any password or lockout policy that would apply differently to a user on a Windows 7 computer, as opposed to a Windows XP computer.

I'll be glad to check anything you can think of. Is there a specific setting you want me to look at?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
More
13 years 3 months ago #36073 by Bublitz
So to get the users back on the domain you have to right click on the user in active "directory users and computers" and then click "properties" then go to the account tab and uncheck unlock account?

To check to see if you have a lockout policy you have to check your group policy's by opening "Group Policy management" tool the password policy is most likely set on the "default domain policy".

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 3 months ago #36080 by S0lo
The Account Lockout Status tool might help if you haven't tried it already.

www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmat...7&displaylang=en

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 3 months ago #36087 by steveb13
@ Bublitz - that is correct. The accounts become locked and have to be unlocked through the AD Users and Computers tool. There is a lockout policy - but what I am saying is the users are getting locked out without typing in the wrong password. For example: A user with a Windows 7 machine shuts down their laptop and goes home for the night. The following morning they dock the laptop and attempt to log in and upon typing the CORRECT password on the FIRST login attempt they are told that their account is locked out.

@ S0lo - I had not thought of trying the Resource Kit tools. The Account Lockout Status tool will probably just show me what I already know, but maybe there is another tool that might be able to show WHY the accounts are being locked out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds