Skip to main content

Digital Signatures

More
13 years 7 months ago #35339 by skepticals
Anyone use/know of any software that I can use to sign documents (Word, Excel, PDF, etc) with domain account credentials? Essentially digitally signing the document to the user that is currently logged in?
More
13 years 7 months ago #35341 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Digital Signatures
Interesting requirement - I've never come across a similar situation. Do let us know if you end up finding something cause it sounds really interesting!!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 7 months ago #35343 by majidxlnt
Replied by majidxlnt on topic Digital Signatures
Try www.arx.com
Cosign Digital Signatures

Mohammad Majed Hafeez
Network Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #35345 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: Digital Signatures
I'm assuming were talking about Digitally Signing via SSL certs similar to any HTTPS:// website to verify ones identity and ensuring a secure connection? Or is it like when someone finishes a document its has their signature on the bottom?

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 7 months ago #35346 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Digital Signatures
You can sign a document in office. Say in word 2003:

1.On the Tools menu, click Options, and click the Security tab.
2.Click Digital signatures.
3.Click Add.
4.Select the certificate you want to add, and then click OK.

But as you know, the user needs a digital certificate, and to get one you need a certificate authority. I believe Windows 2003 server (or Active Directory) can work as a certificate authority. But I have never tried this. This might help:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772393%28WS.10%29.aspx

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770413%28WS.10%29.aspx

You can on the other hand create a self signed certificate (i.e without a certificate authority) in MS Office. But I believe that's not what you wanted.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 4 months ago #35796 by racyhall11
Replied by racyhall11 on topic Re: Digital Signatures
The signature assures that any changes made to the data that has been signed can not go undetected. A digital signature can be used with any kind of message, whether it is encrypted or no. It is easily transportable, cannot be imitated by someone else, and can be automatically time stamped.
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds