Skip to main content

Disable msg.exe on win2k3 Server

More
14 years 2 months ago #33283 by ping
Hello Guys,

I need help to disable msg.exe in my windows server 2k3 machine. I had found out that it works on terminal service. But I can not disable the terminal service since my network is made up of thin clients which uses terminal service to boot from network..

Any help will be much appriciated..

Thanks

Cheers :)

~ping

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
14 years 2 months ago #33286 by jester
Is that possible for you to tell us why you want to disable msg.exe?????
More
14 years 2 months ago #33293 by ping
First of all thanks for replying jester. The reason why I wanted to disable the access to msg.exe was that my users used it to message each other during work and I wanted that to stop. I manage a school computer lab and I don't want them to talk to each other while performing their practical work..

However thanks for taking your time to take a look and problem. I have already found the solution to this problem.

To disable this you will have to set software restriction policy.

you will have to add new hash rule in it with the file/program you want to block. Also make sure that while blocking make sure that security level to this is set to Disallow.

I hope this helps someone..

Enjoy.

Cheers..

~Ping

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
14 years 2 months ago #33294 by jester
thanks for sharing the solution .
More
14 years 2 months ago #33295 by SteveP
What if they hex edit a copy of msg.exe and launch it from a USB flash drive? Would that allow them to use the facility?

I'm just thinking laterally and wondering if there are any other related holes that you might consider plugging.
More
14 years 2 months ago #33303 by jester
In most labs usb drive or any other external storage (cd,dvd,floppy) will not be allowed ,physically stopped by security personals and a faculty in charge will be watching the users ,i believe the same thing in "pings" lab. But i am not sure about it.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds