Skip to main content

Windows 2000 Router

More
20 years 8 months ago #329 by TheKid
Windows 2000 Router was created by TheKid
Dear friends,

I am trying to route between 192.168 network and 172.20.1 network, using Windows 2000's Netwok Router facility. Since it is never woking after doing many double checks against books and web sites that give step by step instuction, I have 2 simple doubt in my mind for you to clarify.

1. Can windows 2000 router act as a router between 2 IP classes?

2. If yes, (probably): what are the protocols or the configurations itself?

Regards
More
20 years 8 months ago #330 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Windows 2000 Router
Windows 2000 server can act as a router without doubt. It might be a bit tricky to get it working the way you would like, but it is possible.

The fact your having problems routing from one network to another is surely because of your routing table.

If you have a chance to setup your network again and use the tools provided to create route entries, you can test it and if it dosent work again, then check the routing table, which will give you a good idea what has gone wrong.

You could also post the result here so we can see them and help you deal with the problem.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 8 months ago #331 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Windows 2000 Router
hi all

i recently came across this website that is all about windows (and its not microsoft either)

very good tutorials and diagrams for setting up services on all windows platforms

it might be able to sort out the problem your having.
www.wown.com
More
20 years 8 months ago #332 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Windows 2000 Router
I have used WinNT as a router, but not Win2K. Do you have to use 2000 Server or can you do it with Win2K Professional?

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 8 months ago #333 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Windows 2000 Router
I've never used Win2k Professional as a router, but considering the fact you can have it acting as a router for dialin connections .. Im sure its possible, but might be limited in some ways.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 8 months ago #334 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Windows 2000 Router
as chris said it is possible use win2k as a router, it is achieved by editing the registry

Enabling IP Routing

By default, IP routing is disabled. To enable IP routing, you must allow the computer to
forward IP packets it receives. This requires a change to the Windows 2000 system registry.
When you enable the Routing and Remote Access service for IP routing,
this registry entry is made automatically.

To enable IP routing

1 .From the Start menu, click Run.

2.Type regedt32.exe or regedit.exe, and then click OK.

3.In a registry editor, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpip Parameters

4. Select the "IPEnableRouter" entry (by defining as value : 1 ) :

once agin i have also never used this so as chris said it may be limited
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds