Skip to main content

IE7 error

More
15 years 7 months ago #27325 by Kn1ght
IE7 error was created by Kn1ght
I have a desktop computer running xp pro sp 3, (dell if it matters) that internet explorer keeps on closing with the error "iexplore.exe"
_helper.dll

it happens randomly but 20 times a day (I'm not joking) i have done all windows updates, have uninstalled, turned off add ons...

also when the computer boots up it opens the folder
c:\program files\common files

thoughts?

Thanks
More
15 years 7 months ago #27332 by gainil
Replied by gainil on topic Re: IE7 error
More
15 years 7 months ago #27333 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: IE7 error
suspecting corrupted explorer

msconfig and check your startup program and uncheck any suspicious program reboot and check back on startup programs if thesame program you unchecked enable itself then you know you have some unwanted quest that mean you harm

You can create a new profile copy the infected profile to the new profile and delete the old profilehttp://www.firewall.cx/ftopict-5773.html

You can connect the infected hard disk to a system with up to the minute antivirus as slave then run the virus scanner

you can repair th OS using the xp installation cd

All these are possible solutions
note YMMV
More
15 years 7 months ago #27335 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: IE7 error
Also try this:

In IE7 menu, Click on [Tools] -> [Manage Add-ons] -> [Enable or Disable Add-ons]. Try to find the the file _helper.dll. if you find it disable it's add-on.

If you can't find the file. You could try disabling all the add-ons and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's obviously one of the those add-ons.

This file is probably a spyware/trojan. forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijac...ie-crash-helper.html

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 7 months ago #27336 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: IE7 error
I came across the same link that gainil found regarding hijackthis. It's actually a really good tool to use. Just be careful you don't kill something that will crimple your OS. I learned this the hard way. The name is a bit misleading, as it sounds like a trojan.

I know people always ask this, but are you using any other browsers or would consider. We have the all famous Firefox 3 and now the new Google Chrome which was just released Tuesday.

But the number one set back of using other browsers is that your unable to run updates. I believe you can only run them through IE if I'm not mistaken. I would give the profile a look, try creating another one and see what it does as sose suggested. If IE works on a different profile then you know something is corrupt only on that particular profile. But if the issue still resides on the new profile, we know it resides within the OS and is distributed to any user profile created. I can assume it will fix the issue, its somewhat rare to have that issue on another profile that was just created.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 7 months ago #27365 by gainil
Replied by gainil on topic Re: IE7 error
Hey Kn1ght,

Look at this, forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/332694 - i guess this should solve the problem 'windows booting with c:\program files\common files". I suggest you go through the readme.txt included in the zip before using it. (i used google translator Swedish to English). Also let us know if you have already solved the _helper.dll error (if YES, pls share the procedure u followed)

Regards

gainil
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds