Skip to main content

Dual Boot Win95 and Win98 ... possible?

More
20 years 3 months ago #2415 by naddyboy
Hi All,

Has anyone ever tried a dual boot configuration for Win95 and 98 ?
I want to have both these OS running on my comp ... is there a way i can achieve this ??

I cant use VMware becoz i dont have the kind of resources needed ...

Plz Help !

Thanx,
Syed
More
20 years 3 months ago #2433 by sahirh
They're both perfectly compatible. Just install one and then install the other on a separate partition or a separate directory. You should get a boot menu when you reboot.

I would recommend a separate partition for both... that will make sure they can have their program files etc etc in separate places.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2460 by MaXiMuS
hey , just install both of them normally as they are very much compatible ( both belong to Microsoft :lol: ) but do make sure u put them on separate partitions coz even if u screw up one :lol: u wouldnt have to reinstall both.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2744 by George

Hi All,

Has anyone ever tried a dual boot configuration for Win95 and 98 ?
I want to have both these OS running on my comp ... is there a way i can achieve this ??

I cant use VMware becoz i dont have the kind of resources needed ...

Plz Help !

Thanx,
Syed

Sorry I dont want to sound negative but I have already tried that and it does not work
You see windows always has its root in C:\windows
and even if you try making a seperate partiton and installed windows 98 in the so called D: , the chances of it booting is very low cause there are two problems
win98 is an upgrade for windows 95
the three boot files are for windows 98 will replace windows95
and after you reached a prompt and wait for the desktop to appear
BOOM you get a series of the messages that files are missing in windows in C:\windows but instead those files are actually located in the D:\Windows DLL files coded to look for file in the C: directory

And installing windows 95 after windows 98 is out of the question
well MS does not allow downgrade so you have to go for a format and relaod

There is one solution for your problem ,it lies in the BIOS
well have two hard drive one with windows 98 and another with windows 95 and change the primary and secondary HDD as per you desire everytime the computer boots up so that at any on point of time only one can be C: and the other will be D:

More
20 years 2 months ago #2750 by sahirh

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2754 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Dual Boot
I have done dual boot where DOS 6.2 with Win 3.1 is on one partition and Win95 is on another. I also have DB with Win98 on one partition and Win2000 on another. I have never actually tried Win95 and Win98 as dual boot. However I would suggest using Partition Magic/Boot Magic. I have used PM to manage my partitions and BM as my boot manager. You can repartition your drives without losing data. Be sure to back up anything you don't want lost before using PM. I have used this for several years and only once did it lock up in the middle of a partition move. When this happens you do lose everything on at least the partition you are moving and there is the possibility of losing the whole drive. Fortunatly my backup proceedures kept me from losing anything. :D
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds