Skip to main content

How to bypass the GPO setting in windows 2003 server

More
16 years 8 months ago #22772 by prabhuk
Dear all,

In my office all the Pc's are in domain. for security reasons I enabled the active wall paper setting in the GPO. So now all the users having the same wall paper and Nobody can change it in the local pc's. Now the setting is reflected in the Domain controller also. I want this setting in client PC's only not in the server. So please tell me the instructions to bypass the GPO setting for Domain conroller.

Thanks

Prabhu K
More
16 years 8 months ago #22773 by skepticals
I'm no expert, but the way I would do this is put all the staff computer in their own OU (Organizational Unit). Then you would create the GPO and apply it to the new OU, which should not include the domain controller/server. This way, only the computers/users in the new OU would have the settings apply.

Where did you apply the GPO?

Is this Windows 2000 or 2003 Server?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22779 by Smurf
That would make the most sense Skepticals.

Just curious how setting the active wallpaper helps with security ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22782 by skepticals
As am I. I know of the active desktop setting in which you can have a web site diplayed as the wallpaper and such. But, I would think you would want to disable that setting - not enable it.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22804 by alx
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether that's correct, but isn't it possible to change the ACL settings (security tab) for that GPO. Is it then possible to create a "Deny" read for the computer account of the domain controller? Just an idea. If this works then you don't have to change the existing setup. For user accounts this should work, dunno about computer accounts.

if it works, please tell ;)

regards,
.alx
More
16 years 8 months ago #22805 by Smurf
Yes alx, that should also work however it better to have the OU Structure setup properly so you don't need to mess around with permissions or blocking inheritance of GPO's. It makes troubleshooting them much simpler.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds