Skip to main content

RUN option is not available in Start menu

More
17 years 4 months ago #19093 by ramz77
Hi to all

i hv a problem in my Win 2000 server it's not showing RUN feature in Start Menu. my pc infected with virus last week but i cleared all virus with the AVG anti-virus.Everything working fine now beside that RUN option. Can anyone help me How to recover that(RUN) feature.

thanks in advance
regards
ram

ram
MCP,MCSA,MCSA MESSAGING, MSCE, CCNA & ITIL
More
17 years 4 months ago #19098 by Smurf
Hi there,

This can be controlled by Group Policies so you would need to ensure that this has not been turned off through a GPO somewhere. If you click here then you will see the specific registry entry that is modified to control this behaviour.

If GPO is controlling this, changing this registry setting will only work until the GPO gets re-applied (every 15mins or so) so check to ensure that its not being controlled through a GPO.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 4 months ago #19102 by ramz77
Hi smurf

first of all thanks 4 ur reply.
i hvn't enable any sevrvice like DHCP, DNS, AD & GOP. i m using it as simple OS. so can u tell me wt should i do to reapplied RUN option

with regard

ram
MCP,MCSA,MCSA MESSAGING, MSCE, CCNA & ITIL
More
17 years 4 months ago #19111 by Smurf
Hi,

If you are sure that their is no GPO (or local security) configured then you can follow the instructions in the link provided which will talk you through editing the registry. If you then end up loosing it again then the Windows 2000 server will be configured to remove it, if GPO have not been configured it'll be in the local security. There should be a snap-in to check that (but cannot remember what its called and we don't use Windows 2000 any more so i cannot check for you, maybe someone else knows)

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 4 months ago #19130 by sose
TRy accessing the command line through ALL PROGRAMMES and ACCESSORIES and then run the Security configuration and analysis tool by typing mmc /a

See the following link for further info

www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows_...curity_Analysis.html

have a nice time
from sose
More
17 years 3 months ago #19154 by S0lo
Try this, First open the command prompt "Start | Programs | Accessories | Command prompt"

type: gpedit.msc

GP editor will appear. Browse to "User Configuration | Administrative Tools | Start Menu and task bar"

There find an item called "Remove Run menu from Start Menu". Set it to "Unconfigured" or "Disabled"

You may need to restart the PC.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds