Skip to main content

ftp hacker

More
17 years 4 months ago #18954 by Brandonh
ftp hacker was created by Brandonh
I have this guy who is trying to hack into my ftp server i see several Microsoft ftp services failed authentication attempts by administrator and i know its not me lol. Does anyone know of any network monitoring softare available that can record those connection attempts and provide me an IP address ?
More
17 years 4 months ago #18956 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ftp hacker
Most FTP servers usually have a built-in logging option. Check the documentation for your particular server or post its name here. If you're definitely sure that your FTP server does not have a logging option, you could rely on your firewall logs (i.e. if you have one)
More
17 years 4 months ago #18957 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: ftp hacker
Check out Snort here:

www.snort.org/

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
17 years 4 months ago #18958 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: ftp hacker
Pretty sure the MS FTP logs all connections to a log file within the c:\windows\system32\logfiles. Within here you should see logging for the FTP Service (may need to turn on additional logging options to get useful stuff from it though).

Once you have identified the IP Address info, you can then block it on the FTP server aswell as your external firewall.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 4 months ago #18965 by Brandonh
yeah i had to set the ip option in order to get the ip addresses
More
17 years 4 months ago #18978 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: ftp hacker
I quite agree with Smurf about the log files .Also you can couple that by enabling auditing in the security analysis and configuration tool in mmc.

Also, you can use the "netstat -n" to check ip addresses running at your background .If are conversant with port numbers, you can figure out strange port numbers and block them.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds