Skip to main content

Windows XP hangs

More
20 years 6 months ago #1080 by Demon
Windows XP hangs was created by Demon
Hi,

I installed Windows XP about a year ago and I have been quite happy with it untill now. Last week while I was working with XP it suddenly hung. My mouse pointer froze, CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't work so I had to use the reset-button to reboot my computer.

My computer rebooted and after I logged in with my username and password it showed me the desktop and a few icons then WinXP locked up again. I resetted the machine and booted into "Safe Mode" and the same thing happened.

I decided to take a drastic step and to format my hdd and reinstall Windows XP. After a while the progress indicator said that only 5 minutes were needed to complete the installation.
Then it froze. I resetted the machine and tried again, this time it froze with 23 minutes left. I tried it another 4 times and everytime the installer locked up after different periods of time.

The 6th time I managed to complete the installation and was able to log in to Windows, after 1-2 minutes the machine locked up.

I've tried the following:
- another Windows XP cdrom
- another harddrive
- another powersupply
- another CD-rom drive
- a PCI videocard instead of the original AGP one
- removed all "unnecessary components" (sound, ethernet, etc.)
- replaced the CMOS battery

But none of the things listed above worked.

I restored the machine to its original state and decided to install Windows 98 SE. Installation went smoothly and using it gave me no problems. I put it to the test by playing some 3D games on it and by ripping a DVD movie.

I'm confused, I had XP running on it, but now I'm not able to reinstall it. Using 98 on the same machine works fine.

I hope that anyone can help me with this problem, thanx in advance!
More
20 years 6 months ago #1081 by Manip
Replied by Manip on topic Re: Windows XP hangs
Sounds like:

Fault in CPU / RAM < -- Most likely
Heat Problem (CPU / Graphics) -- Not likely.

I suggest you start with your RAM. RAM problems are more common because RAM generally isn't produced to such high standards and is produced more cheaply. And the win98 thing doesn't shock me, Win98 has a higher tolerance for memory problems, it runs less separate tools that are vital to the system, also maps them to different memory area's. (If WinXP is always using memory are from 65mb - 100mb and that is where the problem is.... where win98 is using 30mb - 60mb... don't forget the OS gets first grab at your RAM so it doesn't change the locations it uses)

If you have two sticks of RAM switch them, also remove one and test and the other and test.
More
20 years 6 months ago #1084 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Windows XP hangs
Demon,

These type of problems are perhaps the most difficult since the problem is somewhat intermittently and therefore hard to track.

In these situations, the steps you followed were correct, as I would have done the same.

One extra step you could have taken and possible help you find out where the root of your problem is, would have been to check the event viewer log on your XP system. This might have provided valueble information. Even though in most cases the event viewer is useless, there are times where its one of the few places you can get the information you need and tackle your problem.

Now that you have installed Win98, I'd suggest you run some brun-in type of program and see how the system responds. You can find one of these programs in our download section. Simply goto the download menu and select the "Benchmark and Testing" option.

Let us know what your findings are.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1085 by Manip
nnbnb oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp Try the microsoft memory (RAM) test tool.
More
20 years 6 months ago #1100 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Windows XP hangs
I'm willing to bet that its RAM. Even the wonderful windows operating systems rarely hang without giving you some sort of indication... a blue screen.. a GPF... invalid page fault.. etc etc... when things just lock up, the first place I would look is the hardware.

I don't know anything about the ram test tool that Manip told you about.. and you might find it hard to use it if your machine keeps freezing on you... but you could just check how much ram the system is displaying in the POST (Power On Self Test) when you just start up the computer... if theres a ram fault it may show it there..

then again.. just because it doesn't show less ram doesn't mean the rams in the clear... i suggest you check the ram out somewhere else or shove someone elses ram in your machine for a test.

As a general lesson remember one thing.. there are very few things you can do to an operating system that you cannot recover from.. especially with all the system restore, driver rollback and repair disk options that windows gives you (many people mess windows up you see ;)

When you reinstall.. take the time to make those boot disks and rescue disks... it always seems pointless until the day the registry gets corrupt doesn't it ?

Good Luck,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1107 by Manip

I don't know anything about the ram test tool that Manip told you about.. and you might find it hard to use it if your machine keeps freezing on you... but you could just check how much ram the system is displaying in the POST (Power On Self Test) when you just start up the computer... if theres a ram fault it may show it there..

No, that is the best little tool. It is a boot floppy that runs up the test tool. So you can write it from school or work or whatever. Just take it home slot it into the machine and see if your memory is fucked. I carry it around in my computer tool kit because it really is THAT dam good :D

Also the amount of ram wouldn't show a change, if it did then Windows would also detect unreadable clusters and would not keep crashing. The problem is damage clusters that appear healthy that is why Windows is writing to them and so would fool the Bios to count them in

When you reinstall.. take the time to make those boot disks and rescue disks... it always seems pointless until the day the registry gets corrupt doesn't it ?

Na, don't want to waste disc's on that kind of rubbish, just make sure you have a W2K / XP disk handy and use recovery console. Or better yet mount it on Linux and use that =) I have done both
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds