Skip to main content

Ubuntu problem

More
16 years 9 months ago #22755 by ping
Ubuntu problem was created by ping
Hello friends,

Recently i odered some ubuntu desktop CD's for my PC. When they arrived and tried to boot from that CD it showed me menu to start/install ubuntu and several other options since it was live CD from which you could also install.
But when i select the first option that is start/install ubuntu it just unpacks the kernal then whole screen goes blank..
What could be the problem??
I checked system requirements they were 256 Ram and 4GB of HDD for installation.

My PC's configuration is as follows:

512MB RAM,
40GB HDD
64MB Graphics Card
Intel 82845GLAD motherbord

Thanks,

Cheers..:D

~Pranav

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
16 years 8 months ago #22787 by skylimit
Replied by skylimit on topic Re: Ubuntu problem
If you are absolutely sure you pc meets the minimum specification I'd suggest you download ubuntu off the Internet since its free. Also a good way to test software packages is to install them on a virtual machine like vmware an see what happens. Like this you dont mess up your system.

Are you installing the current version?

my 2 cents!

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
16 years 8 months ago #22790 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: Ubuntu problem
ITs a graphics conflict when you are installing change the screen resolution to a smaller size especially if you are running 32 bit or higher. change it to a 16 bit format. ubuntu has trouble running larger graphical bit sizes such as 32 and does not support 64 as of yet I believe. That should fix it if that does not work I do not know what the problem is.

but to change the graphics to 16 bit I think you hit f4 or f6 at the install screen.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22803 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Ubuntu problem

ITs a graphics conflict when you are installing change the screen resolution to a smaller size especially if you are running 32 bit or higher. change it to a 16 bit format. ubuntu has trouble running larger graphical bit sizes such as 32 and does not support 64 as of yet I believe. That should fix it if that does not work I do not know what the problem is.

but to change the graphics to 16 bit I think you hit f4 or f6 at the install screen.

I can confirm that. I have come across this whilst installing Ubuntu previously.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22833 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: Ubuntu problem
was it fixed?
More
16 years 6 months ago #23430 by ping
Replied by ping on topic Re: Ubuntu problem
Yeah it was fixed...

But i still don't know the real problem.

I had put the LiveCD in CD drive and boot the pc and then went to do some other work around my place and after around 15 mins when i came back the desktop was loaded and was ready for use..

So i still don't know what the real problem is..

BTW ubuntu does suppor 64 bit.

Thanks for your help ppl

Cheers..
Ping:lol:

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds