Skip to main content

wireless speed

More
19 years 10 months ago #4024 by davidklose
wireless speed was created by davidklose
well, hi there. I'm writing cause i have some few doubts about wireless networking.
I would like to know wether the lan (that shares internet) speed decreases or not.
Thanks
davidklose
More
19 years 10 months ago #4026 by Neon
Replied by Neon on topic Re: wireless speed
Hi davidklose

Wireless LANs do not slow down your cabled LAN. However the wireless clients will be slower at accessing your LAN. Just say you copy a big file to a wireless machine it will take awhile.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
More
19 years 10 months ago #4030 by davidklose
Replied by davidklose on topic Re: wireless speed
Thanks for your previous answer.

So, if i want to make a lan in order to share broadband, wireless networking would be fine.

I can't decide wether to choose between these two options.
Please, some help here.
More
19 years 10 months ago #4032 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: wireless speed
Well David u see , it actually depends upon , for what purpose do you use your LAN... i mean what are the applications which run in your network.... are you setting it up at home for personal use or commercial use or are you working in an office , and what all are your requirements ?? Broad band will work fine in both cases as its on the external network but your internal network may run a little slow as with 802.1b u will get a maximum throughput of 10Mbps.
Another issue over here is of security ... is your data really really important coz on a wireless network , its relatively much easier to sniff packets. Almost anyone within range with a laptop and Wi-Fi card can do it.
More
19 years 10 months ago #4033 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: wireless speed
MaXiMuS .... you took it right out of my mouth !

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 10 months ago #4035 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic wireless
I have just have just set up a wireless Lan at home an everything works a like a dream.

I have a wireless/ethernet DSL router and for just surfing the web a downloading files I have seen no problems what so ever. The router and my wireless pci card both run 11g which runs faster than 11b.

I will also say by going wireless I saved myself loads of time as I didn't have to spend hours of the day running telephone and ethernet cables around my house what a a god send.

I have not done any tests on the speed of the wireless compared to directly connecting to the router but I may do that for my own information.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds