Skip to main content

Belkin Wireless G Router

More
15 years 10 months ago #26299 by jaizee
I need help on this product trying to make it as a repeater or an AP to my existing WLAN here's my setup:

I have a 3com wireless router that is working great but i decided to add a repeater because there are some areas on the house that can't reach by the RF and so i bought a Belkin Wireless G Router F5D7230-4 so before setting up the belkin i've check from the belkin site and some several site that it can be used as an Access Point so when i bought it i updated the firmware and configured then when im ready to used it it's not working the way i want it to.

1. An ethernet cable always needs to be plug-in from 3com to belkin to use the internet from belkin that's supposed to be working without the need of cable.

2. The router needs to be in range from the RF signal of my belkin router even though the cable is already plug-in

3. There are times that the connection is not stable. when a wireless device is connected from belkin trying to access files to 3com network.

3com 3CRWDR100A-72
Router #1
IP: 192..168.1.1
SSID:jaizee
Channel: 6
DHCP server: enabled
Encryption: WPA-PSK

Belkin F5D7230-4
Router #2
IP: 192.168.1.100
SSID: jaizee
Channel: 6
Set as an Access point
WPA-PSK

advance thanks for any input ^____^
More
15 years 10 months ago #26301 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Belkin Wireless G Router
I had similar trouble while trying to configure a linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander. It did not work using the normal setup procedure although I did it tens of times. with or without cable.

I finally found out that I mis-configured the security key. So my first question do you have security enabled on your 3com router? i.e do you have to enter a key connect?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 10 months ago #26311 by jaizee
Replied by jaizee on topic Re: Belkin Wireless G Router
yes there is, if you will read at my previous post you can see there that the Encryption of my 3com wireless router is WPA-PSK same with the belkin Encryption: WPA-PSK.

Someone told me that it should work without a cable attached to the belkin from 3com but the moment unplug the ethernet cable from the 3com the connection between belkin and 3com broken.

I've tried several settings ways but there's still no luck.
but i'm not gonna give up ^_____^
More
15 years 10 months ago #26320 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Belkin Wireless G Router
I read some info on the belkin piece you've got. catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493

I thought that it's only a repeater. But, It's a full AP/router. I haven't configured an router as a repeater before. A repeater will do it without a wire for sure, as I'm using it now. For your belkin, I suggest you sink into the documentation or site to see if that is possible. Search for something called WDS (Wireless Distribution System) mode. I read that some versions of belkin's can support WDS mode or work as a repeater.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 10 months ago #26334 by jaizee
Replied by jaizee on topic Re: Belkin Wireless G Router
yes it's a full AP/Router.

At first i set it up as an AP then all the router settings like firewall etc. are disabled only the SSID, Encryption settings are enabled. but still not working good as an AP. So in order to work good the cable from 3com must be plug to belkin which is quite not as i planned. WDS function is disabled in belkin when im using AP mode thought i haven't tried using it in router mode.
More
15 years 5 months ago #27871 by Lav_plsb
Hi,

F5D7230-4 Ver 2000,6000, 8000, 9000 had wireless bridging feature

If your router is any one of the above version, then no need to run the cable between 3com and Belkin router.

Other then these versions, then you need to run the cable between 3com and Belkin.

or You can gohead with model F5D7132 (Wireless G Universal Range Extender/Access Point). For this model no need to run the cable.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds