Skip to main content

Sharing on wireless network?

More
17 years 5 months ago #17669 by Yoshi
I have a wireless laptop running xp home, and a pc running xp pro. My Modem is a Linsys wcg200 gateway/router/modem/wap. How do i get file and printer sharing with the wireless, it dose not seem to be the same as when i set up a home network with all physical connections to the router because i have had no trouble with that in the past. All computer have the same workgroup. Please help!!!!
More
17 years 5 months ago #17673 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic sharing
hi
if both the pc and the laptop are working from the same router, then you are already halfway there. this means that both the devices are on the same domain.
now enable sharing on your folders and printers which you want to share. what you do next is go into network neighbourhood, and see if you get any icons for the shared facilities on the other computer. once you have seen it, you should be able to use the folders like any normal folder. but do bare in mind, on the remote machine you can only copy from it, you cannot put any files on it unless you declare such permission explicitely.
for the printer, add it by choosing the option for a networked printer. the relevant printer installed on the other computer will come up, all you have to do now is install the relevant drivers. this would enable you to work with the shared printer.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #17674 by Yoshi
sorry i have a wireless laptop and a connected pc, the folder are shared as default, and the printer will be shared as soon as i can accese my pc which is connected to the printer.
More
17 years 5 months ago #17691 by Yoshi
Can anyone help?
More
17 years 5 months ago #17693 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic blocking
what problems are you experiencing now then?
do you have any other software which might be blocking the private IP addresses assigned to the laptop or the desktop?
sometimes a firewall software might block foreign addresses and that might hinder your visibility of other devices on the same domain

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #17704 by DaLight
Have you tried connecting the laptop using an ethernet cable?
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds