Skip to main content

External Hard diisk failure.....

More
17 years 1 month ago #19608 by talk2sp
Good day my people i have this problem with my external hard disk and the problem is that when i plug it into the system the system recognizes dt there is an external device but when i click on my computer i am not able to see it. dt is i can not see the external drive icon. tested it in almost every desktop and laptop but still d same thing wat do i do....?

thanks guyz i wil not mind an immediate reply cos the owners life is on the hard disk and he is looking up to me so i told him i will consult the oracle for proper consultation.... lol

the make of the drive is TOSHIBA

cheers..

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 1 month ago #19615 by KiLLaBeE
Some suggestions:

Try to uninstall it from Device Manager, then unplug it and plug it back in, see if the system will recognize it appropriately (some devices fail to install appropriately the first time). Try the same in Safe Mode. See if you can see it in Disk Management, then see if you can play with it there. If your system can somewhat see it, but you are still unable to access it, see if data recovery software of some kind can read it.

I would think that it should be plug and play and should install easily, but if its not installing correctly and you've tried what you can, then you may need to contact the manufacture for further tech support.

K
More
17 years 1 month ago #19617 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic hd issue
Go to Computer Management > Disk Management and make sure you can see the hard drive. You said windows found the drive but you don't see it in My Computer, so it should pop-up. Right click on the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path then select Change which will then give you the option to assign a drive letter. Assign a new drive letter then click Ok. Exit Computer Management and go to My Computer, and you should see the hard drive.

I have seen this issue happen a lot with USB thumb drives. This is especially true when you add two USB thumb drives to a computer.

Good luck!

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
17 years 1 month ago #19633 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: hd issue

Go to Computer Management > Disk Management and make sure you can see the hard drive. You said windows found the drive but you don't see it in My Computer, so it should pop-up. Right click on the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path then select Change which will then give you the option to assign a drive letter. Assign a new drive letter then click Ok. Exit Computer Management and go to My Computer, and you should see the hard drive.

I have seen this issue happen a lot with USB thumb drives. This is especially true when you add two USB thumb drives to a computer.

Good luck!

Cheers,

ZiPPy

I usually come across the same problem but with networked drives causing the conflict. If all the suggestions don't work and you're really desperate to get at the data, you may be forced to extract the hard disk from the unit and install it in a computer.
More
17 years 1 month ago #19646 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic but why ......
hey guys thanks for ur intelligent post i was able to recover some space from the external drive but the partition where his files are is showing me unallocated how do i access this partition.. i can access the new partition i created out of the free space but the partition where the data is, is the beef...

what else could i do....

Dalight thanks so much for ur post and intelligent advice but u talked about taking the drive to another computer does it mean that i connect a normal desktop computer IDE cable to the external drive will it read it or better still will it work.... thanks people till i get ur feed back..

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 1 month ago #19647 by KiLLaBeE
Sir,

If the data is still in tact (the drive hasn't been formatted in any way), you can use data recovery software to access the data. It should be able to easily recover the data. Then you can save the data else where and format the drive for a fresh new start.

K
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds