Skip to main content

The server won't boot with usb backup hard-drive attached.

More
17 years 6 months ago #17638 by Arco
Hello everyone!

We have an IBM server at one of our customers offices. Recently purchased external usb drive for backup purpose. But now i have a serious problem - when the usb drive plugged in, i get the following error when the server restarts: 1962 The operating system wasn't found.
Disabling removable devices in BIOS didn't help. IBM support wasn't helpful as well. We need the server to be able to boot on it's own after restarts (for example after microsoft automatic updates). If i plug the usb device out, the system boots just great! I don't have a clue what should be done here to make it work.

Will appreciate any help with this issue.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17648 by DaLight
This is a problem I've come across a few times. It really depends on the motherboard. Some motherboards are fine having a USB device connected at boot-time, while others will simply refuse to work no matter how many BIOS settings you tweak.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17650 by Arco
The MB is MSI 9151, do you know it to be probltmatic?
Thanks.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17657 by DaLight
I've not had personal experience of that particular motherboard. You may want to try disabling any settings that "search" for USB devices.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17667 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic A SUGGESTION....
pls and pls i would like to raise a suggestion to ur problem and the suggestion is that pls and pls turn off automatic updates when u need to update ur system i think u should do that customally not typically see u will kill ur server if u keep doing this things.

this is a past experience pls and pls take heed..........................

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 5 months ago #17787 by Rockape

I've not had personal experience of that particular motherboard. You may want to try disabling any settings that "search" for USB devices.

I agree with Dalight. It sounds as if the system is finding the usb device before the hard-disk, what you could do is check your Boot sequence, and put the hard-disk at the top of the list. This would then mean the OS would look to the hard-disk first, and if the OS is not there, then go looking for other things. This way it would not try and look at the USB device for the OS. Hope that made sense, if not, come back to me and I'll try and put it into sensible English ;)

Cheers

Rockape
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds