Skip to main content

Subnet mask 255.255.255.255

More
20 years 6 months ago #934 by sahirh
I was just at a friends place and happened to look at ipconfig.. his ISP gives him a dynamic IP, but what was wierd was the subnet mask was 255.255.255.255

Wouldn't this logically mean only one host per subnet and a total of 255 subnets. Why would anyone want to do this ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #936 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Subnet mask 255.255.255.255
I'm not sure why this would be used outside of a routing table. I think DHCP uses it also.

It means single host address and is used in a routing table to mean all the bits must match (only one host). 0.0.0.0 means a gateway address in a routing table.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #937 by sahirh
Yep 10/10 about its use in the routing table, i just cant fathom why it would be used for a particular host. Its not a misconfiguration as I just spoke to someone else on the same ISP and he has the same mask. Not to mention the connection works fine.

Its probably something normal, Chris has probably seen it before, i was wondering because the ISPs here in India do some wierd things with their networks.. its almost like an alternative networking world here.. you should come and have a look :). Half the time when their networks go down I think they just sit back and pray, hoping that they'll come back up. We have some damn fine network engineers and some absolute twits. I guess its the same everywhere though

Cheers

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #941 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Subnet mask 255.255.255.255
Do a google search on 255.255.255.255?

There is quite a bit on it. One of the pages might have something on it.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #943 by Chris
Sahir,

Your friend must be on a dialup connection to his ISP.

It's common for all dialups to have a subnetmask of 255.255.255.255. As TFS noted, its used to specify one IP address without assining it to a network.

The person dialing up creates his on "stub" network to his ISP.
When he connects to the Internet, his IP address is also his broadcast address and network address (from the user's perspective), while the ISP maintains their own routing tables in order to allow packets to reach the dialup user.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #945 by sahirh
Dialup connection it is :)
But what would be the advantage of this ? wouldn't it just make for a vey large routing table for them ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds