Skip to main content

Pinging

More
20 years 1 month ago #3159 by zeo
Pinging was created by zeo
How can I figure out the IPs of all computers in the network? When I use UNIX based OS, it is very easy, I just ping the broadcast number and I got replies from all computers, but when I try to do that in Windows based OS, I receive only one reply and it says it is from computer with IP address ending with 255.
More
20 years 1 month ago #3166 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Pinging
Ahh *raises his wizened eyes*, this mistake has happened before... not all systems will respond to a ping to the broadcast address.. you are not seeing all the systems in the network.. if you dig through the forums by searching for terms like 'ping broadcast address' etc you will find a lengthy debate on this that tfs started long ago..

That reply from a computer with ip x.x.x.255 is a reply from the broadcast address.. technicaly if you then ran arp -a you should see all the people who responded.. but this is not the case..

the only way to ennumerate hosts on the network is to actually ping them all .. ping every single IP.. don't gasp lad.. thats why we have Nmap or any other network scanner.. almost all will let you ping a range.. Nmap is just nicer than all of them.. if you want to skip the manual page..
nmap -sP 192.168.0.* -v

should work fine for you..
You can also try out Superscan, Solarwinds etc etc

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3172 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Pinging
I started???

Why am I always to blame here? :lol:

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 1 month ago #3174 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Pinging
Hey, its just the way you are :) you cant help it !! and we dont mind now do we. hehe

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3177 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Pinging
Ahh, the crosses we are forced to bear. :lol:

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 1 month ago #3178 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Pinging
Its a dirty job ... but someones gota do it :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds