Skip to main content

T 1 lines

More
20 years 1 month ago #3132 by indebluez
T 1 lines was created by indebluez
hey guys...heres somethin i am really confused about...

i noe T1 lines run at 1.544Mbps...but where are these lines
installed? are they installled at the ISO site....from where to where does it run(no pun plzz;)

also how important is security in office networks nowadays?
jus wonderin what kind of precautions are taken.
if the admin finds someone is in the network and its a breach of security...what does the admin 1st do...

hmmm jus somethin i was wonderin about...
million thx in advance;)
More
20 years 1 month ago #3136 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: T 1 lines
Hi

Before that, heres a table to help u with lines and their speeds, by which you get connected to Internet, in different parts of the world. ;)

Kbps (bits per second)

14.4 Kbps - POTS & Modem
28.8 Kbps - POTS & Modem
56 Kbps - V.92 Modem + POTS
100 Kbps
ISDN - 128 Kbps
Satellite - 400 Kbps
DSL - 768 Kbps ? (Depends on type?)
T1 - 1.544 Mbps
E1 - 2.048 Mbps
Cable - 3 Mbps
T2 - 6.312 Mbps
Ethernet - 10 Mbps ;)
E3 - 34.368 Mbps
T3 - 45 Mbps
100 Mbps
OC3 - 155 Mbps
T4 - 274 Mbps
Fibre - ??? Needs research. :)

Now, normally most of the providers grnty speed between them & you (Point-to-Point), and mostly a nation wide ISP may grnty you a certain amount of throughput for sites within the country.

International throughput mainly depends on the ISP's backbone, its throughput etc. Generally no ISP's will grnty you on International throughputs, unless you are a big MNC/corporate which signs specific SLA with the ISP for certain levels of International throughput to specific countries/regions. ;)

As per my knowledge the world's 'largest bandwidth' under sea international fibre cable is i2i between India & Singapore, which has a capacity of 8.4 Terabits per second. WoW :D

About your question on security; its toooooooo wide and generic:

1. Security is the primary concern (rather must be) of every office these days who are somehow connected to Internet. Atleast, from medium to large scale, if not SOHO.

2. I can only suggest you to stick here, and read as much as you can on security and you will slowly start getting on the right track. I am also learning every day. ;)

BTW depending on the size of the organisation, you may have any/all or more of the following.

Firewall, HIDS, NIDS, Many levels of Antivirus protection, Site-to-Site VPNs, SSL VPS, Road-warrior clients, Strong authentication using tokens, Certificate servers, PKI, and the list goes on & on :D

For the last question, which is very subjective and depends highly on the security policies/AUP defined by your organisation. If you do not have one start creating one. :D

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 1 month ago #3138 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: T 1 lines
hi thanx alot:)
so in LANs with speeds of 10/100Mbps...what kinda lines are used?
More
20 years 1 month ago #3146 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: T 1 lines
In most lans you'll find CAT-5 UTP cabling.. but I have seen someone achieving speeds of 1.873 gigamegabigagabytes using two cans tied together with string.. ensure that each section of string is smaller than 45.32 metres long, or you will see a degeneration of 15.8725 bytes/second for each additional .5 meter.

As for the other question -- the first thing an admin does when he discovers an intruder in the network is worry about whether anyone has discovered the 'Elite Warez' he has stored on the company's FTP server.. then he worries about his job, and finally he formats the hard-disk of the compromised machine.

In Greece, admins perform a ritual trial-by-fire to keep their honour.. they do this by choking on an olive while rewriting the firewall ruleset as it should have been to stop the attacker. If they finish the rules before they choke, they are absolved of the negligence. If not.. well...

I can hear Chris saying 'Will the olive jokes never stop ?!'

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3153 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: T 1 lines
I have a bad humor sense? :?

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 1 month ago #3155 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: T 1 lines
oh dear have we lost sahir to the olive sponsors...
or sahir are u speakin up for olives in general? i like olives as well...esp on pizzas..so olive sponsors if u are readin this; i can be a great olive ambassador as well:) besides i need the money:D

1)so cat 5 cables are used in LANs and these achieve speeds of 10/100 Mbps...and from the LAN (after firewall) to the ISP...we are connected by T1 lines...and the ISPs use T1 lines?...to give us good speeds...
2)but T1 speed is less than LAN?

3)and lans achieve such high speeds becoz we are using ethernet?

4)one thing that seems in evade from my brain...how do LANs connect to ISPs again? by dial in? frame relay....?

thanxxxxxxx:)

sorry guys i am jus tryin to tie in everything....help?
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds