Skip to main content

Catalyst 2950 Trunk links

More
16 years 6 months ago #23532 by FiercePowahs
I have a quick question. The company who initially built my network before I arrived, installed two 2950 switches. The trunk link is setup between port 23 on switch 1 and port 24 on switch two. Neither of the two gigabit ports are being used on the switches. Would I benefit any by changing the trunk link to a gigabit port on each switch? Would that increase performance?
More
16 years 6 months ago #23535 by skepticals
Not sure. What is connected to the switches? How much are the computers in use? Do you think you are maxing out the current bandwidth?
More
16 years 6 months ago #23536 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: Catalyst 2950 Trunk links
ammm.....probably YES but that is depends on your network size..if the network contain huge traffic between the VLAN / switch then it will help to increase the performance but the cost (gig cable) is concern here.

Dove
More
16 years 6 months ago #23540 by FiercePowahs
I am just at my wits end trying to figure out our congestion problem.

At random times during the day the graphs on my firewall show our T1 being maxed out. I've used all sorts of tools to try and figure out what is causing it to no avail.

My office consists of about 28 laptops/desktops, 3 servers (AD Server, Mail Server and Web server). All hooked into two 2950 switches which sit behind a PIX506E. No vlans are in place in our environment. The web and mail servers are each NAT'd a public IP via the firewall. These are the main web and mail servers for the company which are accessed by three satelitte offices.

Can anyone give any recommendations? Should I split the web and mail servers off into their own VLAN? Or even move them to sit in front of the firewall on their respective public IPs?
More
16 years 6 months ago #23541 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: Catalyst 2950 Trunk links
From your post I dont think it will give much difference by placing the VLAN and all.....

Dove
More
16 years 6 months ago #23543 by skepticals
If you are getting the bottleneck at the firewall, I would think that the bottleneck is the T1 not anything on the local network.

Do you have a way to see what traffic is causing the bottleneck? What is using all the bandwidth?
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds