Skip to main content

RIP, OSPF, EIGRP - What's best in a point to point WAN?

More
20 years 4 months ago #2157 by Pats_Fan
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a cisco router config question..

We recently migrated from a managed Frame Relay / router service to an unmanaged point to point router service. We made config changes to account for the new ppp connections and other changes. However, the ip routing portions are still intact. We have also disabled ipx traffic. The running config has the following statements:
router eigrp 1
router ospf 9
router rip
and

ipx router eigrp
ipx router rip

I'm wondering if:
1) all of these are needed (my guess is no)
2) what is the best protocol to use in a ppp environment
3) will eliminating some of these statements help overall router performance.

I've researched this site (which I think is very helpful) and many others, but cant find a direct answer.
Thanks,
Pats_Fan
More
20 years 4 months ago #2159 by sahirh
Currently it looks like you're using three routing protocols :
RIP, OSPF and EIGRP.. I dont think you'd need to use all of these (it does depend on the rest of your network setup)

I'm sure you've already read the routing protocols section of the site (networking > routing > routing protocols). That should help you pick one... if you want another description of each of them, try here :
www.itexamprep.com/china/cisco/article/o_routerpro.htm

Basically it depends on the complexity of your network.. if all traffic has to go out only through the ppp connection, you could probably just configure one default route as all traffic has to go through the ppp link to reach any other network.

Be forwarned that your router will be very bored if you don't give it any decision making to do ;) you'll reduce that poor beast to a packet pusher !

If you post a network diagram or description of your network we could help you set up the routing.. I could use the practice, since I started doing security I've really been missing out on the fun of network design.... those long hours when pings mysteriously don't reach.... charging to the patch panel to rewire things... sigh... i miss it ;)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2161 by Neon
If you give more info I can help as well, I am at the beginning of my network career and I need ALL the experience I can get :) *Which is what brought me to this site*

But I'll never forget that first little job I had about fixing a small company's network "Uhh you don't run your high-voltage power lines along with your RJ-45 cabling, that’s probably why you have so many incorrect checksums at the other end..." -fixed the problem in the long run.

Anyway back to the topic on hand, and just repeating what sahirh said, I don't think you need all those routing protocols (Yay I still remember the difference between Routing and Routed)

But speaking of Routed protocols, if your only using IP, you don’t need those IPX routing commands in your configuration.
More
20 years 4 months ago #2164 by sahirh
*slaps head in disgust*

Now I didn't even notice the IPX bit, tch tch, I think not having tfs around to compete with me has made me a little lax in my answers.

And for those who have trouble remembering :
Routing protocol = that which enables routing
Routed protocol = that which is routed

Yknow what always used to confuse me ? IPX/SPX... I could never remember which was transport layer and which was network layer... then one day I just got it.... now I remember all the time... even though no Novell network has ever had the misfortune of being administered by me ... shhh don't tell anyone though .. :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2171 by Chris
Novell rocks ! :)

In my last job at Australia, I was administering a whole bunch of Novell servers and I recon they are the 2nd best solution to Linux - and that's only cause Linux is free :)

Sahir's covered the question nicely, so there's not much I can add without confusing everyone here, so I won't :roll:

The only part I'd like to point out is that if the network is quite small (point to point - 2 routers) , then you might want to use static routes to make your life easy since these routes will most probably never change!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 4 months ago #2173 by sahirh
Yeah static routes or RIP sound like a good way to go if its a small network, even RIPv1 might suffice if you don't have a classless addressing scheme.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds