Skip to main content

Do I need a networking certificate?

More
19 years 1 month ago #7503 by E-RaM
Hi,
If I have a general Computer Science degree, is it necessary to follow CCNA, or other Cisco/etc courses in order to be involved in the world of networking? What course is appropriate for becoming a network administrator?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7506 by Undertow
ena sou lew:to ccie einai to doctora twn diktywn .de nomizw na se xalage an douleves agglia kai na pairnes 70000lires to xrono.oi gnwseis pou sou parexei ena elliniko panepistimio gia na gineis network expert anagnwrismenos se pagkosmio epipedo einai midamines.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7507 by nske
I suggest not to hurry. Take some time to experiment, scout around and study the field on your own, ideally find a job as a supporting technician in a decent network, and then decide. The additional experience will definetelly help you both with your decision and afterwards.

It is my belief that no course will make you a good network administrator and correspondingly, you don't need any certification to be a good network administrator. In fact you can not be "spoon fed" what it takes to be effective, as it is more about common sense and practice than anything else. Of course it can be useful to go after some certifications, if nothing more for their value as typical qualifications that can make you more competitive in your quest for a job, still perhaps you should consider applying for a master instead!

PS. hehe opws pame tha prepei na aniksei elliniko section sto fw.cx :lol:
More
19 years 1 month ago #7509 by KiLLaBeE
I would really appreciate if someone would please translate what Undertow said, this topic seems interesting.......thank you
More
19 years 1 month ago #7511 by The_Berzerker

Undertow said:
ena sou lew:to ccie einai to doctora twn diktywn .de nomizw na se xalage an douleves agglia kai na pairnes 70000lires to xrono.oi gnwseis pou sou parexei ena elliniko panepistimio gia na gineis network expert anagnwrismenos se pagkosmio epipedo einai midamines.

Which in english is:
Ccie is the phd of networking. I don't think that working in England and making 70.000pounds annualy would put you off . The knowledge that a greek university offers in becoming a networking expert globally recognized is very little.

In my opinion first get a job as a network admin to see what topics you really like and then decide which certification track to follow. All cisco certificates are worth taking....
More
19 years 1 month ago #7513 by Undertow
Here is my more detailed answer in English:

ccie is considered to be the "master of network certifications" and superior to many university diplomas , due to the fact that it is very technical.Of course not only ccie but also ccna (icnd most) and ccnp are more than adequate in order to educate you in netwrorks .Of course the main thing of all these certifications is , as nske mentioned , the fact that you must have the appropriate eagerness so as to study networks.

The knowledge of a ccna (OSI model-network devices)might be provided in some universities , but again very theoretical.

Indeed, the knowledge of superior cisco certifications (ccnp-ccie) are very ad hoc .Of course I am not sacrilegious to compare American and English universities with those of Greece , but if you search internet (jobserve.co.uk) , you will realise that many employers want employees with ccna-ccnp-ccie-mcse certifications and with very good salaries.

It's your decision ,

take care
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds