Skip to main content

How should an employer validate one's skills/knowledge?

More
14 years 2 months ago #33536 by Chris
I like the way this post started off and has ended up covering electricity generators for dams :) BTW, Nice diagram Nevis !

Coming back to the original question, 'Interviews' is a big and complicated topic. Personally I've been doing interviews of my company the past couple of years and I must agree that there is only so much you can understand about the candidate employee from an interview. Practical experience is the most important - period.

I've seen people with nice degree titles, certifications e.t.c but when they were asked simple technical questions and techniques they would use to resolve a problem, I understood that they lacked a lot.

Killabee does have a good point - Gotta have experience to get experience'. This however doesn't mean you can't get anywhere if you haven't worked in the past for a company that provided you with the relevant opportunities.

There are plenty of methods that would allow you to 'get there' regardless of where you work and the opportunities you've had.

Let me give you an example, is there any excuse for an Administrator that worked for a company, NOT to have experience on Windows 2008 servers (today), regardless if he actively worked with them or not ?

For me, there isn't - 'I didn't get a chance to work with Windows 2008 - we had Windows 2003 servers in my previous job'. If you're really keen in learning new technologies and are so motivated as you show me, then why wouldn't you fire up a VMware machine and load a server and workstation to help you learn the product and what it has to offer ?

My point is, that if someone is really motivated as they want to show, their would have done something to obtain the experience, knowledge and certifications they wanted, regardless of their position and experience in their previous job.

Personally, this is what I look for - Good personality and indications that the person is a fast learner and really keen. If you're a person like that and can prove it, then with the necessary-typical education you'll be able to set yourself apart from the rest.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
14 years 2 months ago #33537 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic slowly crawling to.....
Christ Wrote:

I like the way this post started off and has ended up covering electricity generators for dams Smile BTW, Nice diagram Nevis!

Chris i so like the way the post is going and i see it slowly crawling into control systems. Nevins looks like ur field is related to this stuff u have been posting out here lately.

Chris Added:

Let me give you an example, is there any excuse for an Administrator that worked for a company, NOT to have experience on Windows 2008 servers (today), regardless if he actively worked with them or not ?

No sir! no reasonable and sensible excuse. If the Administrator is really good infact he should have crossed beyond Windows. Like u said even if he actively did not work with them. we have alot of VM solution....

Chris my country is a case study where people who are employed on the job are employed based on their papers / certs not knowledge, practical experiences, etc etc. and thus the result is poor output. After they (+certs - experience = dummies) must have been employed they start seeking to be pushed for extra training sessions to enable them do their job.

"If i were the boss i will fire them. I don't need guys who need to be taught how to do their tasks".

Nice topic. Nevins i love ur illustrations please bring in control systems engineering lets open and close valves remotely. lol

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds