Skip to main content

Need ur Advice for doin masters

More
16 years 2 months ago #25158 by optimus
Hi guys !!!! I need ur advice here. how does a masters in networking from a UK university fare technically as well as professionally (in the job market) ???
can anybody tell me how Lancaster and Essex uni. are in this regard ?
will doing masters along with certifications help ??

guys ,need ur inputs here as many of u are 'seniors' in this field and know the job market very well . thanks.
More
16 years 1 week ago #25763 by m2r007
Replied by m2r007 on topic come'n reply
plz reply anyone!?!?!??!
More
16 years 1 week ago #25791 by optimus
yes guys , plz plz reply......
More
16 years 1 week ago #25792 by optimus
seniors like DaLight, smurf, rockape,the Bishop......plz need ur comments on this.
More
16 years 6 days ago #25800 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Future in masters
Hi mate,
Maybe I can shed a bit of light on this issue. I can over to UK for the purpose of doing a masters in networking. I selected core papers in networking, specially in protocols etc and had other papers in subjects related to networking i.e. networked applications etc.
The benefit of doing networking in UK is that you get the study the latest technology that is happening right at this moment. If you manage to get into a good university, you will be working in good labs. But let me assure you, with good facilities, you will have to make good use of it as well. You will not achieve anything with just good labs and a nice looking campus. It has to accompany hard work, and with masters, it will take a bit more.
I studied in Greenwich University, which is located at the banks of the river Thames. The location was absolutely brilliant. The Royal College of Music was also on my campus, and being a music enthuciast, this was a bonus for me. It was hard work trying to get away from all the fun of living in the hall of residence, and enjoying all the night of central london. But as long as I could maintain my grades, everything else became easy for me. We had a marvellous library, and I would spend hours in it. Some might say I am a geek, but I was a proud geek who could work out the toughest networking OPNET scenario, and could down 10 shots of vodka in the same evening (the aftermath is not within the scope of this eulogy)
After graduating, and going through the motions of getting a job, I finally landed with my dream job with a company which was in the service industry. I started my career as a networking engineer, then become networking analyst, and currently I lead a team of 25 networking engineers who manage various networked systems for the London Underground Limited.
Through my experience, what I can tell you is that, you need a very strong foundation, if you want to make it big in the networking industry. As long as you know what you are doing, be it a CCNA or etc etc etc, your basic fundamentals should be as clear as crystal. I have come across people who put networking credentials in their CV, and on asking 'What is pinging', they fall flat on their face. So, I urge you, if you are going to put something in your CV, be prepared to back it up in your interview with facts. If you can't, don't put it in. It only devalues your credibility.
I hope this was useful. I do tend to go overboard when explaining something

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
16 years 6 days ago #25813 by m2r007
Replied by m2r007 on topic impressiveeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks a lot ARANI such valuable info..............
you have any advice for us. i am coming to UK from india to do my masters there in Lancaster in distributed networks(i think its called like that :lol: ) i got 2 years exp in networking field too...

ANy inputs for us is MOST welcome !?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds