Skip to main content

blocking website....

More
14 years 2 months ago #33718 by faisuonline
hello...

I am running IPCOP firewall ...sucessfully with some add-ons...
I want to block some wbsites to a purticular pc (ip) eg....... i want to block youtube.com to a pc (192.168.1.12 ) ...can it possible in ipcop firewall ...

or....

please give what is the command used for applying above rule in ordinary linux firewall ???

please
helpme
Thanks,,,,
More
14 years 2 months ago #33721 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: blocking website....
Per FAQ's off ipcop.org website

I block certain web sites?
Yes. Login to the IPCop console as root and edit a file named /etc/hosts. Make the first address 0.0.0.0 and then add the URL of the offending website.

Do not remove or change the first two lines of /etc/hosts!

Example /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.x.x ipcop

# Add comments if you like.

0.0.0.0 www.offendingwebsite.com
0.0.0.0 www.bumpywall.org

Reboot and you are done.

Check out the documentation on the ipcop.org website. Everything you need to administer ipcop firewalls is there mate.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 2 months ago #33722 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: blocking website....
Host files are a great tool just make sure that your users are not smart enough to edit them. (or that they are locked down enough to not edit them)

You may also wish to use ACLs (access control lists) on your router which is a better choice given that the user has no access to the access control list. Using ACLs also have another advantage which is you do not have to configure it on a per machine basis. Basically meaning if you put a new computer in you don't have to mess around with that.

articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6115879.html

On the other hand host files have their merit too. They can disallow a user access even if a machine is moved to a different worksite (generally not your problem :P ) and they also take up zero bandwidth internally.

A third option which can be used for blocking is the content advisor which is part of internet explorer. Content advisor is of limited use because a user can always put a browser on their machine. The one reason why you may wish to configure it at least with a password is so a user does not enable it.

You may also want to consider a forth option which is using www.opendns.com/

Basically you set a computers DNS server as the one on your open DNS account and it will do all the filtering work for you.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 2 months ago #33730 by Perlhack
Replied by Perlhack on topic Re: blocking website....
OPEN DNS ... right on! I have a 6 and 8 year old daughters and have an account with this free service. Works great to keep my kids on the straight and narrow. Not bullet proof but so far it has been a blessing.

My Kids just dont know that they could bypass DNS by typing in the IP address of a site rather than the name. For that matter my wife does not know either. She wanted to buy some products from an adult website but kept getting a web page with my picture on it telling her that this site was not allowed. I asked her why she wanted to go to that site. After she told me I gave her my credit card info and IP address of the site.

PH :D
More
14 years 2 months ago #33740 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: blocking website....

She wanted to buy some products from an adult website but kept getting a web page with my picture on it telling her that this site was not allowed. I asked her why she wanted to go to that site. After she told me I gave her my credit card info and IP address of the site.

For anyone wondering the object of purchase in question was this:

(btw on the real get this for your wife along with for him&her ky and you'll be a hero; it's called a sqweel and it does work as the name suggests.)

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 2 months ago #33741 by next_virus
Replied by next_virus on topic Re: blocking website....
One can also use webroot for filtering, but this is not free of cost.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds