Skip to main content

UNABLE TO REACH WEBSITE THROUGH ROUTER

More
19 years 11 months ago #3742 by tonyc
ITS THIS ONE SITE THAT I NEED ACCESS TO DAILY THAT I AM UNABLE TO REACH. I'VE SIGNED ON TO THIS SITE AT LEAST ONCE A DAY FOR THE PAST YEAR..AND ONE DAY..IT JUST DECIDES TO QUIT ON ME...I AM UNABLE TO REACH THE SITE THROUGH MY ROUTER....HOWEVER..WHEN I BYPASS MY ROUTER...IT WORKS FINE...I'VE TRIED RESETING MY ROUTER CONFIGS (MTU) BUT THAT WAS NO GOOD..I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN SHINE SOME LIGHT ON THIS...ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.
More
19 years 11 months ago #3743 by Jack
*What kinda router is it?
*Can you ping this web site by domain name and IP?
*Try accessing it by IP.
*What about tracert?
*Are you wireless or hardwired?
*What about any other boxes behind this router can they access this site?
*You state when you remove the router it works, are you making ANY other changes at this time?

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #3747 by tonyc
Thank you for responding Jack..The router is a D-Link 604.
I cannont ping the site ..it could not find the host
Same with trying to access it by IP.
Tracert is unable to resolve the target system.
I am hardwired.
I am making no changes once bypass the router...
More
19 years 11 months ago #3763 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Problem reaching site
Tonyc, how do you bypass your router but still get out to the site? Can you give us a description of how your network is set up?
Also, think long and hard about the golden question - What changed since it last worked. Logic suggests something must have changed, even if it wasn't you that changed it
More
19 years 11 months ago #3764 by Chris
Considering how 95% of routers have a default route to the next hop - their gateway, I wouldn't be suprised if the problem is from your ISP.

In the past, I've been in similar situations where I was unable to access specific sites. A quick traceroute will reveal how far you are able to get before your packets are dropped, returning an error to your web browser... give it a go and let us know what the results were.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 11 months ago #3776 by Neon
This is a strange coincidence that my friend who has a D-Link 614+ (both wired and wireless) cannot login to his hotmail or yahoo. I have checked everything and even resetted his config. I changed his MTU to 1500 he could load like half the site, but I changed it back to 1492.

As tony explained he can access the site when directly connected to the internet. I assume he probably has the same or kinda the same setup as my friend which has:

ADSL modem / Router (D-Link) / Hosts – Doesn’t work
ADSL modem / 1 Host – Works

He called up D-Link but they were as baffled as he was.

Another thing to add to this is another one of my friends has the exact same hardware but a little different network configuration and it works fine. The next step is my friend who has the router that isn’t working is going to replace it with the one that is and see if the problem still happens with his different configuration.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds